Substitute for Santos Mahogony Stairs?

Old 01-12-09, 10:39 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Substitute for Santos Mahogony Stairs?

I'm currently installing a Santos Mahogany floor and I am going to have to install some stair treads, hand rail and newel posts in the near future. My wife wants to match these to the floor. Problem is Santos Mahogany treads, handrail and newel posts are really expensive. For 6 treads, 12' of handrail and a box newel and landing newel is going to run me about $2000 Is there another (cheaper) wood that would have a similar grain that I could stain to match? If so what wood and what stain? Thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-09, 02:52 PM
S
Unless you pick something off the shelf, it's going to cost you $$ which I understand you're trying to avoid. The color isn't the problem you're facing, it's the grain pattern. You can stain any natural wood that will come close to the color your wife wants you to match. The grain may be a little harder. I'd go to some websites that sell stairs and components to see what's available that you could use. If not there, try your home improvement center and see what they have. If you have a piece of the wood you're trying to match, take it with you to compare the grain.

Good Luck.

Old 01-15-09, 04:00 PM
T
Stair parts do not have to match, just complement the flooring. Even if you got mahogany, it would not be exact. Study the floor, you will see that Mother Nature has it such that no two boards are alike in grain or color. That's nature.

A general description of clear grade Santos Mahogany (Cabriuva) is minimal color and grain variation. Santos Mahogany has a medium orange color range, varying between a light orange/brown with yellowish overtones to a dark reddish/purplish brown. Most pieces of the floor are medium to dark orange/brown mahogany tone. Most retailers sell what is called 'Select & Better' grade.

Select grade will have greater variation in grain and color. Lesser grades will have more.

See the following photos. Note: Photos are deceiving, just as samples on deck boards in showrooms. There is just too much variation to predict that your floor looks like a photo or the sample in the store. Note the variation in the following samples of Santos Mahogany.

Photo Credit: Jatoba Hardwood

Oak is the least expensive species you will find for stair parts. It takes stain very well. You can take a piece of the flooring that you feel best represents the floor to a paint store and have stain mixed to match. Try out on some scraps of oak.

Again, you are not after a match. You are after stain on oak that complements the Santos Mahogany. Santos Mahogany has minimal grain pattern, so the red oak may provide some visual interest.

Old 01-20-09, 10:11 AM
O
Thanks for the help. I think ill pickup some stain and give it a try.