Took wall out know what

Old 01-16-09, 06:10 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Took wall out know what

I live in a bilevel house, the stairs going up have a wall dividing the living room to the stairs. I am taking that wall out its not bearing. Wed like to put rails /spindles there instead. I need a newel post and it is over double studs. The length is 10 feet. Can I get away with one Newel post on one end and tye a holf post into the wall stud on the other stud, or do I need another big post tied in to the middle. Also what is the correct procedure, Obviosley the Newel and other end go in first, but then what.
Do I put the bottom plate on first then the Newel and 1/2 post on other end, then spindles and top rail, or do I put Top rail on then spindles. Also can I glue spindles with PL400 or do I have to nail.

Newbie at this thing.

PS it is a straight run in the living room no angles needed.

Thanks

WIS

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-09, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Without seeing your situation, we would not be able to give firm advice, only generic instructions. If you were to post a couple of pix of your situation on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the IMG code to your reply post, we could see what you see and offer better advice. Newel posts, incidentally, must be buried into the framing below the floor, so get ready for some cutting and bolting. We'll be better able to help once the pix arrive. We're not going anywhere.