Building wood squat rack, need advice

Old 01-18-09, 12:13 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building wood squat rack, need advice

I want to build a weight lifting squat rack, similar to what is shown here (Home Made Wooden Power Rack - Bodybuilding.com Forums).

I need to make some decisions on the type of lumber I want (treated or not), straps, screws, bolts, bracing/reinforcement etc..

I want to prevent the lumber from warping as much as possible. Would it be best to get treated or untreated? Should I use a water sealer, oil primer/paint, or bare wood?

Does anyone have any opinions on the types and amounts of straps I should use?

Should I bolt the wood together or would screwing be sufficient?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-09, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Looks as if he has built a nice rack. Did not need pressure treated as it is inside, but it depends on what you like. If not pressure treated, it could be stained/finished if a clean neat look is what you want. Could not tell if the bars/pins to hold the weight were drilled at a downward angle or not, but they should be.(we don't want our weights falling). Also, he didn't say if it was anchored to the floor and wll so as to prevent tipping/sliding. I would prefer the wood to be bolted together and some type of angle braces. Sometimes with a lot of weight, it comes down hard and uneven. USE A SPOTTER!!