baseboard trim height from floor

Old 01-18-09, 03:12 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
baseboard trim height from floor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm installing 4 1/2 inch baseboard trim throughout the house. Is there a "standard" height I should be installing the base from the floor? I have samples of the carpet to be installed later. And as a test, I installed a foot long piece of tack strip about a 1/2 inch back from a test piece of baseboard.--The base was installed with a CLEARANCE OF 1 INCH from the floor.--I installed the carpet sample and tucked about 1/2 inch of the carpet edge under the baseboard.-- (I've read that carpet installers like to tuck the edge under the base). And since the carpet is fairly thick (about an inch), it looks good with about 1/4 inch of the top of the carpet tufts covering the baseboard.
My question is: IS THE 1 INCH CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE BASE BOTTOM AND THE FLOOR EXCESSIVE?
Most reading I've seen recommend 3/8 to 1/2 inch clearance.--WHY IS THIS? I'd like to expose as much of the baseboard as possible as long as the bottom of the base is adequately hidden..
WHAT DO YOU TRIM GUYS AND CARPET INSTALLERS SAY?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-09, 03:42 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Usual is 1/4", but I am not a carpet guy. Normally, the carpet goes up against the trim, not under it.

Old 01-18-09, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Ehhh...may be different in Bill's area....
Prob depends on what was there before...old house with wood floors and old trim, they'd prob butt up against the base. Newer house with carpet planned, they may leave less.

Most places I've been its 1/2" unless its some sort of real thick shag (hack hack gag gag) carpet.

Old 01-18-09, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
It really depends on the carpet. Will it be glued down, or stretched w/tack strip? Pad or no pad? If pad and tack strip, 1/2" is pretty standard. 1" would definitely be excessive.

Old 01-18-09, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Most of my carpet guys tell me they want a width of base, so I lay down scraps of base and use them as stand offs, which is about 1/2". They will bring their tack strip to within 1/2" of my base, let the carpet override the strip and tuck the selvage under the base.