Looking for some advice on how to build a threshold.

Old 01-29-09, 01:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for some advice on how to build a threshold.

Basically looking to build a threshold from my kitchen to my mudroom. The difference is 1 1/4"(new tiles). I have some oak that I would like to use. Any advice/input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-09, 03:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depends on how much space you have between the floors. Ideally, you should start from 1 1/4 and slope as gently as possible to the next floor. If there is not much space, you may want to add some space. Too abrupt a change can be a toe knocker and trip hazard.

Old 01-29-09, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
Yeah, it depends how wide the threshold will be when you determine how much slope the threshold should have. Too much slope is just a tripping hazard. But usually you want the threshold to be flush or maybe 1/8" above the highest floor... and if being flush with the lower floor makes the threshold too steep, just angle it as much as is feasible, and have not much more than a 3/8" drop where it meets the lower floor.

So if the difference is 1 1/4"... your threshold might be 1 3/8" on one side... down to 3/8" on the other... a slope of 1". An 1/8" roundover on each side is nice too.