Framing

Old 02-04-09, 10:07 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Framing

Renovated basement; new heating system, rewired electric, raised pipes, insulated. Now, the easy(?) part-framing. I have built and need to build enclosures for some pipes that could not be moved without major investment. I also have to build an enclosure for steel beam (ugh [any simple suggestions]? One more thing, my top landing hangs lower than the joises. To even them up I must use 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x (length varies) "shems", is there another way? When it is time to install drywall how will I keep track of the nails/screws?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-09, 03:41 PM
J
I think I understand what you need to do, but I think you are on the wrong track. You can box a beam with almost no change in ceiling height. Run 1x or 2x on either side of the beam, flush with the bottom of the beam, then nail/screw a piece of finished paneling, drywall, etc to those pieces. net lose to the ceiling, less than 1/4".

Not sure what you mean by "keeping track of the screws"?????

Old 02-05-09, 06:56 AM
L
Perfect! Thank you.
"keeping track of screws".
I thought that I would need to level the joists with the landing, but I think I can get around it. If I were going to level all of the joists, I would be using screws to attach the shems to the joists, then attach the drywall - thus loosing track of screws in the joists (unless I measure them out and transpose their location and avoid them when drywall gets screwed in [?])

Old 02-05-09, 03:32 PM
J
The word is "shim", usually a wedge shaped piece to change the level of another piece. But that is not the issue.

You can box around the landing beam, or shim as you suggested to make that all the same level. More frame work one way, more finish work the other way. Not to worry about screws when you put up drywall, if you hit a screw underneath, move over slightly.

Old 02-06-09, 06:06 AM
L
Smile

Very much appreciate the suggestions, corrections and advice.