Staircase Trim

Old 02-04-09, 12:13 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staircase Trim

I am having difficulty trimming out the bottom of my staircase. 5 1/4" colonial baseboard runs along the wall at the top of the staircase and I cut 2 3/4 " off the top of a piece of baseboard to trim the top of the skirtboard and meet the height of the baseboard. However, at the bottom of the staircase I cannot figure out how to cut the 2 3/4 " high skirtboard trim to meet the 5 1/4 " baseboard on the lower landing.

See this photo: https://webmail.optimum.net/attach/0...203090730b.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-09, 12:37 PM
B
Hello Dan,

I can't see your picture but what you describe is a common problem with stairs. In most situations a "plinth block" would be installed between the two different pieces. The block is made of 1x or 5/4 material, cut it 1/2" or so above the highest piece and about 1/4" wider than the thickest piece, then chamfer the edges to dress it up a little. Go to Google images and type in plinth block. It should bring up a picture of one at the base of a staircase. I would make mine smaller and have it stick out past the base 1/4" or so like I said above.

Old 02-05-09, 06:35 AM
D
Bill:

Thank you very much. A sensible solution to what seemed to be a mind bending problem.

To clarify, when you wrote that the plinth block should be cut approx. 1/4" wider than the thickest piece, I assume you mean that with 5 1/4" high baseboard that is 1/2" thick that the width of the plinth block would be approx. 5 1/2".

Best Regards,

Dan

Old 02-05-09, 01:47 PM
B
No problem. If the base is 1/2" thick make the plinth 3/4" thick, unless the piece coming down the stairs is thicker. Then you go 1/4" above the highest point on the piece coming down the stairs.

Old 02-05-09, 09:11 PM
D
Bill:

Got It. Thanks so much.

I gather that the width of the plinth block should be what looks good to the eye in relative proportion to the pieces that mate it. The photo in Google Images you directed me to looks a bit narrow to me. But, hey, everything is a matter of taste.

Thank you for your advice.

All the Best,

Dan