Self-Leveling Epoxy/ Poly ??

Old 02-04-09, 10:30 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Self-Leveling Epoxy/ Poly ??

Hi all, first time here for me. I've run into bit of a problem mid-project...

I built a coffee table with the top surface roughly 3.5' x 7' with ambitions of making the top into a glass mosaic Rolling Rock-styled (Latrobe native here) football field, consisting of broken Rolling Rock bottles making up the field. That has worked fairly well so far, however I definitely chose the wrong product to use as a self-leveling hard resin surface.. I went with a High-Build PolyEurethane Gloss, covered 1/3 of my table with it, and then realized that not only was it going to dry yellow, but it was not going to ever become hard enough to use as an actual table top.

Found this old thread on here.. Lacquer? (Self-leveling Epoxy)

..and realize I should have done a little more research before going with the Poly. My question is, what would happen if I put something like this Envirotex on top of the Poly? I'm assuming it's not going to work but thought I would ask.

I'm really thinking I'm going to have to start over, and this would be devastating to me. Any other solutions? I need a total depth of about 3/8 " to cover all the glass. Didn't want to resort to this, but is putting a sheet of Plexi over it all going to be my only hope? Also, if anyone is interested in pictures, let me know. Although it has turned out to be a mess, I still am very proud of the actual design myself..

Thanks a lot,
Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-09, 10:06 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Nick,

The issue is getting whatever you put over the existing surface to stick and not delaminate. The best way to do that is to sand with course (80 grit or rougher) paper, clean then apply the next product. You should check for compatibility before deciding what product to use.

Most of the table top epoxies including Envirotex are not very hard, however they can be top coated with urethane to increase durability. Ideally a 2 part automotive type sprayed on would be best. Got any friends or relatives in the auto body business?

Rod