attic access installed-Enough room for post/railing?

Old 02-13-09, 02:33 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
attic access installed-Enough room for post/railing?

I just had pulldown attic steps installed in my addition. After done, I pulled it down and had great concern that there isn't enough room to have the railing/post installed. I have attached photo. On right you can see the bottom of the leg of the pull down attic steps. To the left of that you can see the stairs going downward. A railing would have to go from left to right starting at far left of photo then a post just to the left of the attic steps. Then the railing would go down the stairway. I have tape measure at left most edge of stairway (NOT including the overhang of the tread). So I have just over 3". Will this work? The attic steps could have been moved to right by 3/4", but that is it. I have trusses so can't be cut to move anymore than that.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-09, 07:11 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Stairway

What railing and post? Why do you need it for a pull down stair? Your description of the photo makes no sense. Can you post a photo from a slightly greater distance to give us a better feel for your question? Is the stair folding or telescoping?

Old 02-14-09, 07:52 AM
H
the light wood is the left leg of the attic steps going upward from the subfloor. Just to the left of that is the left end of stairway going down to my first floor. So when you pull the attic steps down, they fall at edge of the main steps going down. The black area is basically the overlook from the hall. So if you follow the one seam in subfloor that travels up/down into the black area, you drop off to the second flight of steps going to my first floor. So I need railing going left/right with a post near the attic steps. Then going down the flight of stairs. If still don't understand, I will try to get another picture.

Old 02-14-09, 08:46 AM
H
here you go. the wife already said she isn't likely to be going up into attic. Unfortunately, I don't really have anywhere else to put good attic access.

Old 02-14-09, 11:25 AM
How about attatching the post to the side of the steps? That should clear the attic access and give a wider step at the same time. The lower steps below (after the landing going down) will have the railing over the steps.

Old 02-14-09, 11:41 AM
H
I just wanted to see what Options are. I guess I haven't really taken notice of how posts/railings are attached much. will have to look in some mags I guess for ideas.

Old 02-14-09, 12:15 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Stairs

Your second photo makes the question clear.

I do not have a good answer other than that the post beside the attic stair will need to be clear when the attic stair is lowered.

You may be able to widen the top flight of steps slightly when the finished treads are installed.

Another option is to use a telescoping ladder attic stair which, I think, is not as wide as the folding stair you are using.

One more thought: Would the attic stair fit in the next truss bay to the right of where it is now?

Old 02-14-09, 01:23 PM
H
the finished treads are already on. they are covered with paper and then thin piece of wood. You can see the overhang of the finished tread on the left side of stairway. Can not use next truss bay. It is not wide enough. The attic steps could be pulled back some (in direction of where I was standing when I took photo but still in same bay) maybe I could pull it back enough so that it goes over the top of the post? But then the bottom of ladder would be in the laundry room. SO you would have to take whatever you wanted to put in attic into laundry room, and then pull down steps. a pain if you had several things to move. and I don't even know if I could get enough clearance over the top of the post. So if I have post mounted right at left of attic steps, will that work? how big is a post -- is it a turned 4x4 so 3.5" square? Where is it usually mounted in relation to the stair overhand? The center of the post will set the location of banisters/handrail, so where is the handrail usually location in relation to edge of stairs?

Old 02-14-09, 05:22 PM
Would it work to turn the attic steps around and place them against the laundry? Then they would open the opposite way they are now? You would be behind the steps where you took your picture. The bottom would be towards the other stairs so the post for the railing would not be in the way.

Old 02-14-09, 05:34 PM
H
I thought about that, but the way they are now you are entering attic right near the high point. If you were to rotate them around, you would be entering where there isn't much space and there is HVAC ductwork. I don't think you would have any useable space that way. Will take another look at that, but I don't think that would work very well.