making a curve in wood

Old 02-15-09, 06:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
making a curve in wood

I need to replace a piece of curved wood under my oak steps, how can i bend the curve in the wood underneath, can i use luan plywood and wet it or can i steam it to make the curve that i need. It will be painted, so as long as it looks presentable then i dont mind using whatever wood is best. Thanks Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-09, 08:10 AM
a lot depends on exactly what it is your doing

wetting and steaming plywood doesn't work quite the way it does with solid wood since the ply's are oriented at right angles

you can cut a series of grooves in the back of the ply to help the bend or there is bendable plywood where the ply's all run in one direction

Bendable Plywood 1'x 4', Wood Moldings, Architectural Elements at Van Dykes Restorers

Old 02-15-09, 10:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
Often 3 layers of 1/4" plywood is use to make a curved board 3/4" thick. Install each piece of ply seperately.

Old 02-16-09, 04:24 AM
C
Flex board(what mango man said) , then a veneer of the finish you require, in your case oak.

Old 02-22-09, 05:42 PM
J
An alternative to steam would be an ammonia solution of about 5%. I've used a plastic sewer pipe with one end capped, then slide in the wood and fill up with the ammonia solution.

Let it sit overnight and you'll be able to tie a 1x1 thick piece of oak into a knot.

The ammonia gives it a darker tint with a bit of green, but this won't matter if you're going to paint it.

Old 02-23-09, 02:57 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
An alternative to steam would be an ammonia solution of about 5%. I've used a plastic sewer pipe with one end capped, then slide in the wood and fill up with the ammonia solution.

Let it sit overnight and you'll be able to tie a 1x1 thick piece of oak into a knot.

The ammonia gives it a darker tint with a bit of green, but this won't matter if you're going to paint it.
I am going to try this as I have had a problem with steaming as I don't have a steamer. Never heard of this approach. Thanks.

Old 03-02-09, 06:43 AM
J
Great! Let us know how it worked for you!

Old 03-02-09, 10:20 AM
G
another thought on steaming

another though about the steaming method - I have looked into steaming and i found a few articles, (sorry i have lost them now) but depending on size, i have stuck my wood into a old stove pipe sealed both ends with disposable pie plates. I took a kettle and a hot plate, had a hose run from the kettle to the stove pie plate, (i had to cut a hole in it) and then punched a small hole in the top of the other plate to release the pressure. i think the genereal rule of thumb for steaming is about 1 hour for every half inch - maybe - sorry, but a quick research on steaming a bow blank, should reveal great results.

I only say this cause the use of chemicals, no matter how small personally scares the be-geebees outta me.

hope you go with whatever your most comfortable with, and you get the results your looking for.