Interior Stairway Guardrail Question

Old 02-18-09, 07:07 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior Stairway Guardrail Question

I've just rebuilt my interior staircase and I'm now starting to work on the guardrail. I have 12' I need to span, one end freestanding and the opposite end attached to framing in the wall.

I've been looking at examples online, and have seen prefab units where the knewell posts are attached to a bottom rail which then is attached to the floor. I was more used to seeing the knewell posts attached to the floor independently and the the railing sections connected to the posts.

Any suggestions on building a guardrail? What I had planned on doing was attaching 2 full newell posts to the floor and attaching a half newell to the wall and having 2 sections of railing in between. The bottom rail with the ballasters attached would be directly mounted to the floor and the knewell posts. Is this the best option? I'm asking because it seems like it would be easier to mount the newell posts the same way the prefab units were mounted, with them connected to the bottom rail and then the floor. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-09, 11:29 AM
D
Prefab type I mentioned..... Wondering if this would work?

http://www.artisanspecialties.com/St...ection%20A.jpg

Old 03-02-09, 10:12 AM
D
This is a first.............

The first time I didn't receive one reply to a question on this site.

I ended up using sure-tite fasteners on two of the three newell posts and lag bolted the third into wall framing.

Looks great and is really ridgid