Newell Post is Loose-Need Help

Old 02-21-09, 05:20 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Newell Post is Loose-Need Help

I have an open banniser on both sides in the center of the foyer. Over the years the Newell post on the right side as you are looking at the staircase has become loose. There seems not to be any nails which would toenail the Newell post into the stair tread. Am I right in assuming that there is a threaded bolt in the bottom of the Newell Post and the finish carpenter had to drill a hole in the stair tread then put a nut on the underside and tightened it to make the Newell Post secure? Please help me out as I am afraid that the entire bannister will fall...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-09, 06:10 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Can you remove one of the risers and look at it? You probably have to do that to repair it, anyway.

Old 02-21-09, 06:35 AM
R
My bottom riser is continous and curves on the left side. Don't know if it can be removed. The next riser is carpeted so I do not know if I can remove it. I do not want to gouge the wood when trying to remove. I am stuck...

Old 02-21-09, 01:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
And I am assuming you have no access under this staircase, right? Quite often the newel posts are either bolted to a plate system under the floor, or they are bolted to floor joists in two places, making them rigid. Sure would be nice to have access other than the riser, but if not, that's your only hope.

Old 02-22-09, 05:02 AM
R
The Newell post sets on the first riser of the staircase. There is no access behind the staircase as it is drywalled for a closet. I do not know how to remove the riser without marring or breaking the riser. The first riser at the floor starts from right to left being at the edge and goes to the left and curves around the left Newell post in one continous piece. I believe that the Newell Post is fixed (bolted) under the first riser.

Old 02-22-09, 05:41 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you have to replace the riser, what's the big deal? Get a flat bar and a hammer and remove it. Otherwise, go through the closet.

Old 02-22-09, 11:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree with Pulpo, sheetrock repair inside a closet is alot less damaging than replacing woodwork. But in the event you can't do that, it is more important that you stabilize the newel post, so destroy the riser if you have to, and replace it later. My vote is on sheetrock repair.

Old 02-23-09, 05:36 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I just thought of something else. Run some screws through the riser with a screw gun. You might get lucky and catch the right spot. Then you can touch up the riser.

Old 02-23-09, 09:20 AM
R
Question

Thanks Pulpo. I don't understand "Run some screws through the riser with a screw gun". What do you mean by this and what is to gained?

Old 02-23-09, 02:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I looked at mine and the post is standing next to the riser on the side where the stairs turn. Without removing anything, you may be able to run some screws through the riser and catch the bottom of the post. If not, I go back to the other 2 choices that I mentioned before, remove the riser or open the wall in the closet.

Old 02-24-09, 04:18 AM
R
Thanks Pulpo. I will check that.