Replacing bi-fold doors with regular doors...?

Old 02-24-09, 07:51 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing bi-fold doors with regular doors...? (pic)

I want to replace two sets of bi-fold doors from closets in my entryway, but not sure where to begin.
The framing around the closet openings is metal w/ 1/2 sheetrock. The floor will be tile over concrete. I built the divider between the two closets w/ wood framing, and I installed bi-fold doors (from home center) temporarily.
However, now that I'm changing the floor I also want to replace the bi-fold doors with two side by side doors on each closet. I'm concerned that the framing is not stiff/sturdy enough to support the doors, and how to convert...
Can I just put wood trim around the inside of the openings and hinge from there? Or does the framing need to be reinforced....
Another problem I have is that I don't think I can get a set of prehung double doors into my apartment, unless I could take it apart first.

Thanks for the help!
P1000443.JPG (image)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-09, 02:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You won't have any problem in getting the doors in the apartment door if you tilt it and come through that way. BUT, since you already have a cased opening, why not just buy door blanks and mortise hinges in them and the casing and hang them. A little more work, but doable. You will need to give us the exact measurements of the door openings so we can advise on the size of doors or frame-up you will need. One looks wider than the other.

Old 02-25-09, 06:15 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a tight stairway to my apartment that I think might be the problem, but if I could bring it in, in pieces...or just fit blanks (there's a first for everything I guess).

The openings are both 60.0" by 80.0".

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-25-09, 02:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You did hit a nerve, however, but I had already posted. If this is an apartment, and you don't own it, make sure you have permission in writing from the landlord to do the work. Otherwise you can be held liable if something happens, and could be charged to put it back in it's original state.