Weathered Wood Look - How?

Old 02-24-09, 07:43 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weathered Wood Look - How?

Hello experts!

I'd like to build a coffee table that I saw in a magazine but I don't know how to get the weather look for the wood. I know I could maybe use some old wood that has actually been weathered but I don't have any or know where to get some.

Anyway, here is the magazine image I'd like to replicate. How can I get this look?

Thanks!
MAC

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-09, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The wood you see is naturally distressed. You can find old wood by asking woodworkers in your area for some. We always have stashes of different wood, that we never let people know about. I went to look at a table saw frame yesterday, and in this guy's barn was at least 1,000 board feet of black walnut and cherry, rough cut. I drooled all the way home. I have a small stash of wormy chestnut, that NO ONE will ever see until in finished product form. It isn't available anywhere any more.
Oh yeah, you should give magazine credit when you steal, uh, use their pictures.

Old 02-25-09, 06:29 AM
M
Thanks Chandler.

About credit to the magazine ... I guess, it's not like I am re-publishing it or taking credit for it but anyway it's a magazine called "Deco Style" (I think)

About the distressed look. Is there anyway to do this myself with new wood?

Old 02-25-09, 02:16 PM
Yeah, but people don't understand if they see their picture without an acknowledgment. Just a courtesy, no biggie.
I doubt very seriously you will be able to attain a quality distressed look on new wood. First of all it has to look "old", so that is a shot in the foot to begin with.

Old 03-04-09, 05:25 AM
Ammonia will turn most woods black - you can get interesting effects if used with discretion. Ice picks for worm holes. I even know a guy who blasted a top (from about 50 feet) with skeet shot from a 12 guage shotgun...

Using a solid brick as a sanding pad can round over the edges of new lumber in a convincing fashion.

Plug chewing tobacco cut up and soaked in denatured alcohol and then strained makes a nice warm medium brown stain which lets the grain of the wood show through which looks somewhat like aged wood.

Old 03-04-09, 05:42 AM
Now, George, wasting a good chew of Redman Golden Blend is sinful. Just do it in small increments.....one spit at a time to get the same results. JK.

Larry