Materials and how to install handrail

Old 02-26-09, 07:45 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Materials and how to install handrail

I need to have a handrail put it for the 3 steps going from my kitchen door down to my attached garage. My mother lives with me and has broken 3 ribs recently from falling down basement steps. I need it also due to effects from chemo.

I am not sure what type of rail to get. There is a closet wall we can attach to, I need to check to see if there are studs. The original homeowner knocked out the dining room wall next to the garage and put a hutch in, as well as two closets.

I thought about attaching the rail to that closet wall in the garage, it's not too far from the steps. I assume I will need to attach it to the studs. I am not sure how the closet wall is constructed. If there are studs there and I can use that wall, what is the best material for this kind of rail?

I would appreciate any help, our church has a ministry that provides people to complete these projects for single moms, widows, etc.... so I can get it installed, just not sure the best material to use and if this is the best way to handle it.

Thanks.

Nancy

Old 02-26-09, 03:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Nancy, welcome to the forums! Basically you will need a piece of handrail about a foot longer than the amount you really need (more later), and you will need two or three, depending on the length, handrail standards. These standards will screw into the studs in the wall and will clip and screw to the underside of the handrail. Now for the extra foot. When the installers come (and they may already know it) make sure they cut the top and bottom of the handrail at a 45 degree angle at the longest location. Then take the two cut off pieces and reverse their locations. They will form your "returns" to the wall. They will have to be cut in length to about 3 1/2", glued and nailed to the end of the 45 degree handrail. This is a code issue and will keep you and your mom from hooking your coat or pocketbook on the end of the handrail and causing a fall in itself. Post back if you have more questions. We're here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: