Trim Laminate Countertop In Place -

Old 02-27-09, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trim Laminate Countertop In Place -

OK, I admit it, I am an idiot. My brand new refrigerator was delivered this afternoon and after everything was ready to go -come to find out it won't fit into the opening afterall due to a 1/2 in. overhang on the countertop. I measured the space at least 3 times - but I didn't even notice the countertop - at all. I measured from the wall to the cabinet - not the countertop! To be fair my husband didn't realize it either. In any case - since the edge that needs to be trimmed down will be almost completely hidden and I don't want to or have the time to completely disassemble my kitchen I need to know how I can trim 1/2 inch off of this laminate countertop. We will be redoing the kitchen entirely within the next couple of years - but still I don't want to do any really obvious damage. Right now - my new refrigerator is sitting mostly in the middle of my kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-09, 06:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I am assuming you have a rolled back laminate countertop. Mark a line where you want it to be cut, place painter's or masking tape on either side of your line. Using a jig saw with a fine blade, cut along the line until you have no more saw shoe space. You will have to cut the rest of it using a handsaw. You could use a reciprocating saw, but it would take a surgeon's steadiness, so I recommend a hand saw. Since you will be jamming the fridge against it, you won't need to worry about finding or installing a countertop end piece.
This information is in lieu of doing it right, by removing the entire countertop and cutting it from the bottom using a circular saw, but then it may not be an option as you said.

Old 02-28-09, 08:15 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can get a down cutting blade for the jigsaw which will not tear out as much as a regular blade. Then do as chandler says and finish with a fine tooth hand saw.