stripping screws

Old 03-01-09, 02:34 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stripping screws

Gawd, I am so sick of stripping screws. I am using steel screws, and screwing them into studs with a power drill phillips attachment.

Are there a better quality screw? or am I overpowering? I also tried drilling it out a bit before hand...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-09, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What kind of screws? Drywall? Very thin/weak heads on those.

If its a project thing, make sure you are predrilling big enough. Also a little parafin/candle wax/soap on the threads makes a big diff and doesn't affect the holding strength. Even spit on the threads is better than dry.

Square head or Star drive screws will prevent head stripouts, but can snap weaker screws.

Details...we need details...screwing what to what?

Old 03-01-09, 03:11 PM
J
Most power drill/screwdrivers have adjustable clutches. Adjust to just tighten.

Old 03-25-09, 04:10 PM
G
First of all, make sure you are using the correct bit for your fastener as there are(just to name a few) P1, P2 and P3 phillips driver bits. There are square bits, and my least favorite, the phillips square combo bit, which at a glance is hard to distinguish from a phillips. Electric drills generally have only a high speed setting. A good cordless drill will have a lower torque gear that is good for driving screws... High speed for drilling, low speed for driving.

Now you've got the right bit, and the right drill for the job, the next thing you should know is while driving a screw it is important to keep the screwdriver bit in line with the screw. Tilting it to the side makes it slip, and strips the head. Predrilling is helpful but be sure to get the right diameter drill bit for the screw you are using. I like to keep it just smaller than the fastener, so it still has material to bite into. Hold your fastener by the head keeping in mind where the driver bit will go if by chance the bit slips off the head. It really hurts to get stabbed by a driver bit in the finger. Start slowly and when the fastener is biting into the material, move your hand from the fastener to the back of the drill. Apply steady pressure. It helps to make sure you can get the proper leverage on the tool, so don't try to reach way over your head or off to the side. Get your work right in front of you. Remember straight line between fastener and bit, and drive it home. Beer 4U2

Just like anything, the more time you do it the better you get at it. (what kind of screwing is he talking about?) Hope this helps

Good Luck