Cabinet hinge replacement.

Old 03-20-09, 12:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cabinet hinge replacement.

I'm fixing, (attempting to fix is a better description at this point) some kitchen cabinets for some friends. Expecting the problem to be stripped out holes in the wood or similar easy fix, I was suprised to find that it was the hardware failing instead. From what I can tell this has happened before, and the broken originals were replaced by some crap (imho ) from HD.

The hinges are 35mm euro 5/8" overlay 110's (that's the specs of the newer hinges, and to the best of my knowledge are correctly matched with the originals).

I'm at a loss about who manufactures good/bad hinges for this application; the originals are from around the 70's I think, and most of them are still OK... so I'm guessing that would put them in a higher quality category than the newer replacement hinges (since I'm having to replace the replacements ).

Any suggestions from you cabinet guys/gals? I need to have some pretty quickly, so obscure sources with long order-processing waits won't do me any good.

If anybody can point me to a "cabinet/hardware 101 for ignorant dummies" I would really appreciate that too!

Thanks!
~Jeffrey

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-09, 03:39 PM
J
The best Euro hinges are probably Blum. I sometimes find them at big box , but usually have to go to a local contractor supplier for them.

Old 03-20-09, 04:00 PM
J
I found out the originals are made by Mepla, but so far I've been unsuccessful finding a supplier (online or otherwise) that carries the same model, which isn't surprising given their age.

Blum seems to be a well known standard-setter, so if I can find some I'll probably go with them.

While we're talking about Blum, I read something about the "Blum pattern" for hinges that were attached to the door and/or the face frame using dowels. I haven't found a pic of a hinge being attached using dowels, so I'm having trouble understanding how that works. I've got the specs for the standard "Blum Pattern" and can drill it (if I can find my metric ruler ), but that's where my current know-how ends.

Thanks,
~Jeffrey

Old 03-21-09, 03:55 PM
J
Not familiar with the dowel thing, sorry.

Old 03-21-09, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The only time Ive seen the `dowel` application re:`Blum`type hinges, is from IKEA. Many of their units have this type of hinge and the `dowels`are of plastic attached to the hinge itself and designed to be `tapped` into its respective hole(s) when assembling their `wardrobe` or whatever.
Im pretty sure the big box stores carry these..
good luck

Old 03-22-09, 11:27 AM
J
After doing some more research I decided to go with the Salice Excen Three for its slightly lower price (than the Blum Compact 33). I would have preferred the Blum, but a friend of mine (a master cabinet maker) told me that even though he uses Blum almost exclusively, he considered the Salice to be a good hinge as well.

These cabinets are almost certainly going to be replaced within the next 3 years or less, so I figured the savings justified the potentially higher risk of failure.

They are certainly better than the junk at the big box stores, and ordering them from an online supplier saved me ~$3 per hinge over the big box stuff.

Hopefully I get a box full of Salice hinges instead of paper weights (or some such oddity); I never feel completely at ease when I can't physically touch the merchandise at the $ exchange.

Thanks again,
~Jeffrey