need suggestions for molding around new windows

Old 03-28-09, 07:17 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need suggestions for molding around new windows

Hi - I had vinyl windows installed, and it required new framing. The wooden sills are the type that extended out past the window by a few inches. In a few cases, I had to cut them even with the new window framing, but in other cases, they still extend past the framing by about an inch and a half. What would be the best approach to getting molding up around the new windows, without it looking stupid where the molding meets the sills? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-09, 07:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
In reading your post I hope you didn't cut the drip sill off your windows. They are there for a purpose and cutting them may allow for water problems later. Maybe you could post a couple of pictures of your problem on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post so we can see exactly what you are talking about.
Larry

Old 03-28-09, 12:22 PM
F
Sorry, guess I should have specified that I was referring to the interior of the windows. I had to cut a few of the sills flush with the edge of the window. My concern is how it will look if the molding is wider than the horizontal sill, and what I might be able to do to get around that, cosmetically-speaking.

Here's a link to a couple photos - let me know if you have access trouble - first time I've done it. http://tempsite.shutterfly.com/24.

Another related question: When I had the windows done, should the installer have finished the interior, or is that not standard practice?

Thanks again for your guidance.

Old 03-28-09, 01:03 PM
You don't cut the sills flush with the window. They are to project about 3/8" past the profile of your trim molding. I guess with any diy project there is a learning curve. A window install job should specify whether the installer is to do the trim or not, but most commonly it is done as a complete project. I would never install a window and leave the trim off.
Now, back to your sill ears. You got a problem and may have to make new ones. Not difficult, but will be necessary for a good look.

Old 03-28-09, 07:30 PM
F
Well, Larry, this house has been a challenge from day one - nothing has gone as anticipated, so I've been scrambling all along. The windows were no different, even though I elected to let the experts handle them. I used to think I was moderately handy, until I met this place.

Not sure if I'll be able to create reasonable-looking new ears for the existing sills, so I may have to slice off the sills and just picture-frame the windows. I'm not sure which approach will be more of a hassle at this point.

Thanks for your helpful input, just the same.

Old 03-29-09, 11:03 AM
If you remove the side jambs and then remove the sills by tapping upward and prying them out, you can replicate them with 1x lumber with the proper size ears. Don't give up. It just takes a jig saw and a little patience.

Old 04-05-09, 06:14 PM
F
Thanks again for your advice, Larry - I don't know if I want to start dismantling the framing at this point, though. If it's going to look too ridiculous having molding extend further than the ears, I may have to just try and extend the ears, as you originally suggested, or hire a pro to fix the mess.

Old 09-19-09, 08:42 AM
F
re-opening this question

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just cut the existing window sill flush to the wall, and then just picture frame the window? After the new windows were installed, it only left about 2 inches of sill anyway. Considering this as a last resort, if I can't easily replace the cut off ears. Thanks!

Old 09-19-09, 11:30 AM
I have, on occasion, "picture framed" windows with the same molding on all 4 sides. There's nothing to say you can't do it, so give us some pix when you get it done.