Need an experienced eye..

Old 03-29-09, 10:19 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need an experienced eye..

Hello,

I know this is a DYI forum but need some knowledgable opinions on some work that I hired someone to do. I don't know the term to describe it, but basically hang some cedar 2'x6' boards from one end of the porch to the other (10 feet). (Please see pics)

When I saw his work I was a bit surprised he didn't use some sort of bracket to support the boards against the roof frame. I don't know much about carpentry but in 100 degree weather with 80% humidity, are those nails going to hold for long?! Should I go out and get some mounting brackets? Also, should I seal the cedar with something? I fear those things will come crashing down on someone.

I am considering building a gazebo and would like to know if this guy did a fair job because frankly he works cheap lol.

Thanks~

http://www.sleepydream.com/DSC00083.JPG

http://www.sleepydream.com/DSC00084.JPG

http://www.sleepydream.com/DSC00085.JPG

http://www.sleepydream.com/DSC00086.JPG

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-09, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You've shown us macro pix of what we could see from a normal pix shot. He used non hot dipped galvanized nails or stainless, which should have been used. If this was to be in an area where it will be exposed, I would have used deck grade, torx head screws and would have countersunk them. You will have rust marks forever when those nails begin deteriorating.
Post a couple of pix of this installation from standing back a little so we can see the purpose of the wood. It may help us give better advice.

Old 03-30-09, 12:19 PM
G
Chandler is correct. This guy does NOT know how to do what he should be doing.
Wrong nails, toe-nailed (side) through the pickets, naied above the board- instead of below (out of sight), over-cut his notches on the wrong side of board, over-sized notches, open knot-hole showing, bad joint angle, and possibly used the wrong type board for the application, but .............."he works cheap lol" I'm sorry that you got less than you paid for ------maybe you didn't ? Be safe, GBR

Old 03-31-09, 03:36 PM
E
Is this really the suppost for a porch coming off the roof? Or is it rather a purgola over a porch?

I think anyone knows that this will not support a herd of elephants or anything.

You ended your post with an "LOL". You must have already known your answer -LOL.

Old 03-31-09, 05:30 PM
P
He looks like a professional hacker to me. Not bad for a cabin in the woods that you would expect to use for a few years. He does show consistency and good nail spacing LOL! Personally I would not accept anything but some kind of simpson strap/bracket with galv nails or deck screws. But depends where you are.

Old 03-31-09, 06:52 PM
B
Even adding brackets will not do much good as the boards are nailed to a piece of 1x that is the facia on the end of the rafters/ceiling joist (it's hard to tell what it is exactly). The 1x is only attached with 2-3 nails in each rafter. The facia should have been removed and the pergola framing, (for lack of a better term), run back along side of the rafter/ceiling joist, resting on the top plate if possible and nailed properly. Next time pay the $$$ for a qualified contractor to do work on your home. I have seen time and time again how the "cheap" contractor wound up costing homeowners way more than they saved on the original job.

Bill

Old 04-01-09, 07:35 AM
E
Originally Posted by Bill62 View Post
The facia should have been removed and .......
I think he is right -especially if we are talking any serious weight to be applied from above. That of which none of us knows for sure.

Old 04-10-09, 06:29 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Bill62 View Post
Even adding brackets will not do much good as the boards are nailed to a piece of 1x that is the facia on the end of the rafters/ceiling joist (it's hard to tell what it is exactly). The 1x is only attached with 2-3 nails in each rafter. The facia should have been removed and the pergola framing, (for lack of a better term), run back along side of the rafter/ceiling joist, resting on the top plate if possible and nailed properly. Next time pay the $$$ for a qualified contractor to do work on your home. I have seen time and time again how the "cheap" contractor wound up costing homeowners way more than they saved on the original job.

Bill
DITTO FOR ME!!! You get what you pay for!