kitchen crown molding

Old 04-05-09, 08:11 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kitchen crown molding

Oh boy am I having problems...

Ive seen a lot of threads; but havent found the one specific to my question. Or atleast understood it to be the same as mine so I will have to ask it again...

In a kitchen; on a corner...the cabinets are obviously not at a 90 degree angle. one cabinet sits directly in the corner and the two adjacent cabinets meet it at what appears to be 135 degrees.

Now I have crown molding that is supposed to go from the cabinet to the ceiling so it has two angles on it already.

I am trying to cut this inside corner...boy is it complex.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-09, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
You probably understand that a 90 degree inside corner is made up of 2 miters, 45 degrees each. If your cabinet in the corner is sitting at a 45 degree angle, the crown moulding on each side would be cut at a 22.5 degree angle. So because of the corner cabinet, it would take four 22.5 degree miters to turn your 90 degree inside corner... 2 on one side of the corner cabinet, and 2 on the other side of the corner cabinet.

Hopefully that makes sense. It you are cutting the crown moulding in position, don't forget to position it "upside down" on the miter saw, and think "backwards". When your piece is upside down on the miter saw, the left side is actually the right side once you turn it right side up to install it.

Old 04-10-09, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Welcome to the forums!!

If you have a sliding "T" bevel(an adjustable square) put it in the corner and lock it down. Take it to a protractor and find the angle you have. Cut the crown 1/2 of the angle as sleeper says. Should fit like a glove. Don't forget the upside down and backwards advise!