How the heck does this desk get it's strength?

Old 04-07-09, 09:07 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How the heck does this desk get it's strength?

hi all, I'm a super newbie with woodworking and I'm looking to do a wall mounted desk. I found this one online and wanted to do something similar. Question is how is the desk attached to the wall? What would be the easiest way to recreate the desk and have it be strong enough?

much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-09, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It looks to be attached to the wood wall with 6 long lags or large screws. To the monolithic wall via hammer in type expandable concrete anchors. But I am sure you are more interested in how it holds itself up rather than how it is attached to the wall, right? The design is a little artsy fartsy, and will do good with writing, but you put too much weight on the outer edge, and it will fail. On the inside, there is a 2x piece of lumber attached to the backer from the back and the "box" is wrapped around this 2x lumber and attached to it via hefty screws which are countersunk and capped with matching wood.

Old 04-08-09, 03:52 AM
F
if i was going to build one i would design it around a metal skeleton. i really like the idea of that desk.

Old 04-10-09, 06:06 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by flopshot View Post
if i was going to build one i would design it around a metal skeleton. i really like the idea of that desk.
A little to modern for me-"old school"! But, if I were building it, I would at least like some brackets on the ends for support. I like the metal frame idea too!

Old 04-10-09, 07:03 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
also notice that the desk is placed nearer the top of the mounting board than the bottom. This causes there to be less leverage for the load on the desk to pull on the anchors and causes it to be more involved with the shear forces of the attachment

Old 04-21-09, 05:05 PM
P
I have a knack for sitting on things that need not be sat on. I could only imagine what would happen if I sat on that thing.

Old 04-21-09, 05:34 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pmaru77 View Post
I have a knack for sitting on things that need not be sat on. I could only imagine what would happen if I sat on that thing.

Um, all anchorages do have their limitations.

Old 04-24-09, 04:41 PM
If you want it to have more strength, assemble it as mentioned, but from the back drill four or six 1/2" holes into the top or bottom surface of the desk about 6 or 8 inches deep. Epoxy steel bar into these holes projecting about 4 or 6 inch out the back. Drill matching 1/2" holes in the wall and slide the unit into place using suitabel adhesive or cement in the wall holes. Then use the 6 expanding rawl bolts shown to actually hold the unit onto the wall. The long bars will give more resistance to the turning moment if a lot of pressure is placed on the outside of the desk, but for comfort you want to be careful about your wood choice and thickness, otherwise the bars might end up breaking through the top surface. But if that happens you shouldn't have been jumping on the desk anyway.