can I repair faded block wood paneling?

Old 04-26-09, 05:24 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can I repair faded block wood paneling?

I am moving into a home that has beautiful block wood paneling in the family room. The only problem is that there are several areas of the wood that look darker due to sheilding from sun exposure. The spots are in perfect circles and squares where something was hung on the wall. Is there any way to repair this? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-09, 09:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure I know what 'block' paneling is

When wood is finished with oil base poly it deepens the colors in the wood and the poly/varnish also yellows with age. Wood naturally darkens with exposure to light and air.
I don't know if there is a good fix other than sanding down and refinishing. I have mixed up tinted poly and fogged it [with a cup gun] over the offending areas to make them blend in but.... I've only done this on homes for sale and don't know how they look after they have aged some.

Old 04-28-09, 04:07 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
update

Thank you for your response Marksr! And thank you for the warm and friendly "welcome!" Us southern people consider very nice wood paneled walls to be "block paneling"! From what I remember, it was used a lot in the 80's, especially in custom homes around here. I am not sure if I could actually sand this wood without ruining it. It is from floor to ceiling and is trimmed out at the top, middle (chair rail), and floor. I wish I could show you a picture. Maybe that would help. I know a lot of people just paint it white and be done with it, but we actually love the look of wood in our home. I just wish there was some way to fix it. Hopefully this info will help. Any advice is SOOO appreciated!

Old 04-28-09, 04:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Gee, I didn't know tennessee wasn't in the south

Sounds like it might be 1x6 tongue and groove pine. My youngest son has a lot of it in his house and he has a few light spots where he previous owner had things hung on the wall but he hasn't complained any

The fix is still the same. More than likely, your wood was stained [or not] and then finished with either sanding sealer and varnish or polyurathane.

I'm not pc literate enough to know how but most post pics using a free service like Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket