Kitchen Cabinet Question

Old 05-03-09, 05:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Cabinet Question

Hi I'm new here. My husband and I want to do something about the cabinets in our kitchen. We don't have the money to replace them. The cabinets themselves are in good shape, however the doors are not. We'd like to replace the fronts of the cabinets. Can we do that - or refinish the frame and replace the doors - we could build new doors and just use the front framing but it would need some work. It looks like someone used some sort of contact paper to cover the wood and it's coming off. One of the doors has a hole in it and it's not repairable. To be honest, we'd like to just update the look of the kitchen. It's a small kitchen and we'd thought to extend the counters somewhat but we'd have to have some electrical work done if we did because the wiring for the stove would need to be redone because the stove is hardwired and it can't be moved which makes it sort of impossible the way our kitchen is set up to extend the counters. So we're settling for fixing the cabinets we have. Since I've no experience with cabinets I wanted to know if I could just redo the fronts (not refinish) but completely redo the fronts by ripping them off and redoing and rebuilding them.

Darlin

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-09, 06:18 PM
M
Sandpaper, Bondo, Lots of elbow grease and a good quality paint can do wonders

Old 05-03-09, 06:23 PM
C
Depending on how the face frame is attached to the box and how the boxes are attached to each other, you may be able to remove them, or you may just create a nightmare. My experience has been that the face frame does not usually come off easily and damage to the box usually occurs, at which point you are better off just buying new cabinets. Refinishing the frames might be a more viable option. How old are the cabinets? A picture would be helpful.

Old 05-03-09, 06:34 PM
D
I'm not sure but I think they may possibly original installations or ones that were replaced at some later date. They have been here at least ten years. I think maybe just refinishing the frames and redoing the doors may be the best bet from what the responses thus far. If I can find a working camera in the house I will try to post a picture but we've been having trouble with most of the cameras. They're getting old and worn out.

Darlin

Old 05-03-09, 06:37 PM
D
Originally Posted by merlesdad View Post
Sandpaper, Bondo, Lots of elbow grease and a good quality paint can do wonders
We don't really want to paint them. But I'm not sure what's under the exterior coating which is either a contact paper or some other cheap coating. We're really like to retain the wood look to the cabinetry.

Darlin