Tool to help install Aspen T&G

Old 05-20-09, 12:30 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tool to help install Aspen T&G

Hi all new to the forum...and new to woodworking...

I am building an outdoor pregola in my backyard. The structure is up and I'm to the point of installing aspen T&G. I'm working with 6"x12" lengths of T&G. I'm not staggering the joints, don't think I have to, unless someone here advises to do this but since it's a ceiling I'm not sure if it's important. The joints will be hidden, I'm installing on 4"x6"x13' rafaters, 30" centers. last night I put up the first piece and secured it with wood screws at every rafter. Putting up the second piece though the T&G is bowed and I was having a heck of a time getting it to fit the length. My question is this...Is there a tool to help join the groove to the tongue then once joined nail with a nail gun? I searched the forum but could not find a posting asking the same sort of thing..

TIA,

Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-09, 02:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Robert, welcome to the forums! I know it is a typo, but clarify the size of lumber you are using. 6"x12" ain't much bigger than a few decks of cards.
In general, what I do, is make a sacrificial piece of the T&G to tap the pieces together, leaving the groove side alone and taking the tongue off. I am not sure why you are having a problem with the T&G matching, but once you tap it in place and nail it through the tongue into your framing members, it should stay pretty well in place. I wouldn't use screws, but an angle finish nailer in 15 gauge with 1 1/2" + finish nails. Post a couple of pictures of your problem on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post. That way we can see exactly what is happening and may can offer some advice.

Old 05-20-09, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
I just finished putting up a 18'x40' ceiling using t&g douglas fir 1x4 beaded wainscot. I think I know the problem you are having. Depending on how the rafters are crowned, and how consistent the width of each one is, you are probably having some trouble with them waving up and down, which just makes it a real pain to interlock them. You really want them to be perfectly straight. I also wouldn't use screws for this application. 1 1/2" or 2" finish nails will be much better, nailing just as Chandler said, at an angle through the tongue, using a small scrap of t&g as a block to tap them together tight before you nail.

Best advice I could give you is to turn a long straight board on edge and use it as a straightedge, checking the bottoms of the rafters. If there is a gap under any of the rafters when you check with the straightedge, shim them down. Spend some time writing down measurements on the bottoms of your rafters, do all your shimming at once, and get it all straightened out before you go crazy nailing up 1x6's. That way when you shoot up your aspen, it will lay straighter, and it will be much easier to get the pieces to interlock.

Old 05-20-09, 04:24 PM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
T&g

I read the original post to mean the t&g boards are not straight. A racheting tie down strap comes in handy to apply pressure to the boards to draw them in against the previous board while nailing. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Ken

Old 05-21-09, 07:47 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
XSleeper and Ken Thanks you for your replies. I did mean 6"x12' ...fat fingers strike again. Your ideas are great but I found this researching board benders Products : Board Bender | Talisman Tools
It looks like exactly what I need. A local wood shop here in ABQ has a Stanley BB but it looks all weird where this Talisman seems more intuitive and cheaper.

Thanks what a great forum!

Robert

Old 05-21-09, 11:43 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Board Bender

RJ, Notice the price and also the fact that the tool attaches to the joist with screws. Will require separate attaching and de-attaching each time you use it. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-21-09, 01:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Be careful using this on T&G. Always use a piece of scrap over the tongue to keep it intact. This tool will seriously mess up a good tongue if left to its own devices. I would use a BoWrench, BoWrench Direct. No attaching and quick release, again with a scrap over the tongue.