Tips for routing and painting signs

Old 05-28-09, 01:05 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Tips for routing and painting signs

I am using a Milescraft template set to route names on 1x3 stock. I need to have the routed letters painted white and the stock background stained solid Oxford Brown. Is there any way to do this without having to carefully paint in each letter with a small brush?

I know of the method where you seal the stock, rout, paint in the letters sloppily, sand the stock to get crisp letters, and then cover everything with a transparent coat. That works well for painted letters on a natural stock, but does not work if you need the stock stained/painted.

I tried staining the stock, covering it with painter's tape, and routing through the tape. I got very jagged edges with a new carbide bit. I also tried with clear packing tape - not as ragged, but still not clean edges and it had poor adhesion.

I don't know if there is a better tape to try or a better method altogether. I would appreciate any ideas.

Also, does this kind of question belong in the "Paint" section?

Joe M

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-09, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Joe, I use a similar template set for signs at our property and cabin. I recently had a bad rain day, so I sequestered myself in my shop all day. I routed a new tailgate for my flatbed with my company name,city, state, and phone number on it. I used 5/4 boards, routed the letters and numbers, painted the letters with a spray can of paint, then ran the lumber through my planer and took off 1/32 of an inch, which obliterated the excess paint and left the letters crisp. I didn't stain it, but I would guess you could stain it after the numbers and letters are painted.

Old 05-28-09, 02:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Suppose you stain the stock last? Route & paint the letters first. Sand any white overlap, then stain the background.

Old 05-28-09, 05:24 PM
J
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Joe, I use a similar template set for signs at our property and cabin. I recently had a bad rain day, so I sequestered myself in my shop all day. I routed a new tailgate for my flatbed with my company name,city, state, and phone number on it. I used 5/4 boards, routed the letters and numbers, painted the letters with a spray can of paint, then ran the lumber through my planer and took off 1/32 of an inch, which obliterated the excess paint and left the letters crisp. I didn't stain it, but I would guess you could stain it after the numbers and letters are painted.
Do you know of some technique that will prevent the solid stain from crossing the letter edges? I don't. I am afraid that this would take longer than carefully painting the letters. If there is a fast way to do it, I would really like to know.

Old 05-28-09, 05:26 PM
J
Originally Posted by modhippee View Post
I just came across a website of a tape that claims it does not bleed.
They have some interesting testimonials and the paintblock they are using looks pretty intereting
Anyway the website is called*****************It might be a tip :-)

Aaron
Has anyone ever routed through this tape? My problem with tape was not bleed. The router bit chewed up the tape edge.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-28-09 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 03:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Joe, you are probably right, as I think the stain will run too easily. I guess some things in life aren't easy. Good luck with the project!!

Old 05-29-09, 08:55 AM
J
Originally Posted by JoeMarshall View Post
Has anyone ever routed through this tape? My problem with tape was not bleed. The router bit chewed up the tape edge.
I don't know why modhippee's post was removed. Seems a little over aggressive.

Anyway, I checked out the suggested Frog Tape. They do not recommend the tape for this application. The special paint block material is only in the edges of the tape. There is nothing to indicate that you would get a cleaner routed edge than you would get with masking tape.

Old 05-31-09, 10:02 PM
H
Stain your blank stock.
Apply protective coating.
Clamp a piece of 1/4" blank stock to your stained stock.
Route through the 1/4" to your desired depth in the stained stock.
Paint your letters.
Remove 1/4" stock to reveal crisp clean lines.

Beer 4U2

Old 06-03-09, 11:44 PM
J
Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
Stain your blank stock.
Apply protective coating.
Clamp a piece of 1/4" blank stock to your stained stock.
Route through the 1/4" to your desired depth in the stained stock.
Paint your letters.
Remove 1/4" stock to reveal crisp clean lines. Beer 4U2
Thanks for the idea. I will need to get a router bit with a longer shank to try it. I am not sure that this will be any faster than careful painting.

I am also worried about capillary action drawing the paint into the crack between the two stocks. Have you done letters this way? Did you have this problem?

Joe