restoring stairs

Old 05-30-09, 04:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
restoring stairs

New house: The stairs going up to my attic are really beat up. They appear to be stained, but are covered in other things like splattered paint and gunk from gluing down carpet, and there's also lots of splintered parts, bare wood showing In scraping off some of the gunk I've noticed the stairs splinter easily too. I can't tell if the baseboards are painted or stained. I think painted, but they closely match the stairs.

What's the best/easiest way to fix this up? It doesn't have to look immaculate as it's not high traffic, but i want to make it look decent. I was thinking of just sanding and restaining/finishing on top. I did just on stair like that and it look pretty decent.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-09, 04:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If it is not a high traffic area, and you can take the time to sand them down and refinish them, you will be alot better off than trying to remove and replace them with new risers and treads.

Old 05-31-09, 04:06 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic stairs are typicall made of what is left over from the house construction. Assuming it is not a living space, as suggested above, sand rough spots and paint/finish as you prefer. Attic steps are utilitarian, not beautiful, but a coat of paint can't hurt.