Floating TV stand...Will this thing stay on the wall?

Old 06-07-09, 01:02 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floating TV stand...Will this thing stay on the wall?

I am looking to build a floating corner TV stand, and I want to make sure it does not come crashing down on someone....

Here are the dimension and my current plan:

Triangle shape into a corner: 48"x48"x67.8" (a 45x45 right triangle)

My plan was to mount a 2x6 onto the two walls screewd to the studs in the wall, then place 3/4" plywood (birch or possibly MDF) glued and screwed to the top and bottom of the 2x6.

On the top shelf would rest a 42" HD TV. I'm not sure exactly what it weighs, but let's call it 80 pounds. The bottom shelf would hold a direcTV receiver, DVD Player, and possible a surround sound unit.

I've been looking around for a way to calculate the strength of a piece of wood so I could just do the math here, but not having much luck.....What kind of plywood will I have to use to rest on those two 2x6s to keep this thing from coming down (if plywood won't do it here, what types of boards do I need to join together).

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-09, 01:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Dan, welcome to the forums! You have the right bill of materials. Use a hardwood cabinet grade 13 ply plywood. Don't use MDF. You will need to face the plywood with a good dimension lumber, 1) to stiffen it and 2) to make it look good. I would plan on 1 x 3 lumber in which ever veneer you have on your plywood, on both top and bottom sections. Should make a nice nook!

Old 06-07-09, 01:54 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
if it is floating, why would you have to worry about it crashing down. I mean,,,it's floating, right?

just kidding. I couldn;t resist.

I am not an engineer but 68" is a long way with no support for any board to carry let alone refuse to sag under weight.

I do not think it is happening without some form or stengthening rib underneath.

For the lack of anything better, I would think sometthing like this stuff:

underneath the front of the shelves would be a possibility. But even that may not be enough 80 pounds is a lot of weight and 68 inches is a long way to go.

Old 06-07-09, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
A lot will depend on how the weight is distributed as well. If the TV has molded in feet that are spaced out near the edges of the front (widest point) then lots of weight will be transferred to the braces on the wall. Not like you are stacking 80 lbs of sand in the very center of the longest leg.

An front edge of some sort is always recommended to add strength to any shelf.

Old 06-07-09, 02:52 PM
nap
I try to plan for a worst case scenario because well, if I don't, the resulting failure reminds me I should have.

sorry, but I come from an over engineering father and have never been sorry I "over built" because usually it ended up not being over built.

Old 06-07-09, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
No critisism of any other advice intended, sorry if any was taken that way. No smileys on quick reply...sorry...lol

But you really need to know the actual weight and distribution of that weight. I have a tube type HDtv in the bedroom and it has 70-80% of the weight to the front, but its all placed on 2 pads/legs that are only about an inch from the outer edges.

Weight distribution is an important factor to consider, is what I'm saying I guess.

Old 06-07-09, 03:23 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
No critisism of any other advice intended, sorry if any was taken that way. No smileys on quick reply...sorry...lol

But you really need to know the actual weight and distribution of that weight. I have a tube type HDtv in the bedroom and it has 70-80% of the weight to the front, but its all placed on 2 pads/legs that are only about an inch from the outer edges.

Weight distribution is an important factor to consider, is what I'm saying I guess.
but his outer edges are 68 inches apart

that is 5 feet 8 inches.

How tall are you GG?. Stretch your arms out and that is about the rough distance we are looking at.

that is simply a very long stretch when you are talking about putting weight on the thing.

and if you were speaking of my advice; don't worry. not offended the least.

Old 06-07-09, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Didn't really think that nap..just wanted to be clear...durn..still no smileys!!

Yeah, agreed..long span...all depends on the TV. My 55" has a stand thats only about 2' wide or less..so all the weight gets put right in the center.

I'm wondering why it has to come out 4' on the sides? Shouldn't require that much room for a 42" TV. My bedroom TV is 32" and is only about 2' on the sides.

Old 06-07-09, 05:01 PM
Just jumping again. If the feet are 42" or so wide, they will mostly be transferring their weight to the 2x6 on the wall, and not in the dead center. That is why I suggested banding the front of the plywood. For vertical support. We're all on the same page, just a different paragraph.

Old 06-07-09, 05:09 PM
nap
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Just jumping again. If the feet are 42" or so wide, they will mostly be transferring their weight to the 2x6 on the wall, and not in the dead center. That is why I suggested banding the front of the plywood. For vertical support. We're all on the same page, just a different paragraph.
but 80 pounds chandler. 80 pounds.

and the tv dimensions are diagonal.

like I said, I was raised by an over engineering father. I can't help myself.

Old 06-07-09, 05:10 PM
R
Good point on the weight distribution. The TV is on a stand that is 24" wide, and they edges will end up being about 13 inches from the edge at the front of the stand (close to the edge at the back of the stand).

So the TV does not sit out on the 68" edge, it sits back from the edge about 12".

I had planned for a stiffening edge (forgot to put that in my materials list), but was thinking a 2"....I'll have to see if a 3" would work without taking to much away from the opening.

Aside from sagging (which I clearly do not want), is anyone worried that the whole thing might come crashing down (that is my biggest fear to have someone under it and have it come down).

Thanks,
Dan

Old 06-07-09, 05:11 PM
nap
not really. I was more concerned with the sag. Since I am a bit older, I really understand sag.

Old 06-07-09, 05:13 PM
R
Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the welcome. Any recommendations on the type of plywood, or is the Birch I was planning on fine?

Old 06-09-09, 03:19 PM
As I stated in my other post, a good cabinet grade, 13 ply in 3/4" can be had in birch, oak, poplar pretty most anywhere. It depends on if you want a stained finish or painted.