Baseboard angles: stairs to floor

Old 06-15-09, 07:09 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard angles: stairs to floor

I need to join baseboard where the baseboard on a stair wall meets the baseboard along the floor. How do I make this angle cut? The baseboard is 4" with a decorative cove along the top.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-09, 03:38 PM
J
There are a variety of angle finders available at home/hardware stores, lumber yards, etc. Find the stair angle and divide by 2.

Old 06-16-09, 12:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Worst case scenario is to make cuts in a scrap piece until you find the right angle by trial and error and then use that angle on your trim piece. I don't ever seem to get a perfect fit by just measuring the angle, but that's maybe more a reflection of my skill level than the technique itself.

Old 06-16-09, 12:18 PM
B
Hi, I'm new here but does your stringer continue on the slope right to the floor or is there a vertical cut like this:

If it has a vertical like in the pic, you'll actually need two miters. One will take the baseboard vertical for a short run (that would be two 45 degree cuts. Then at the top, you'd meet the angled piece at whatever angle that works out to be.

One trick I use is to fold a piece of paper into a triangle until it matches the angle I want. Since the two mitered pieces have to be cut at half the angle, fold the triangle in half and move the saw blade until it matches. Using that method, you never really even have to know the angle in degrees.