Firewood shed

Old 06-18-09, 06:09 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Firewood shed

Firewood shed

Wasn't sure where this should be posted so I will try here.

I would like to build a covered firewood shed that will hold a face cord (+) of firewood (limited space available width-wise at location).
I would like this to be;
a) gable look
b) 3.5-4 foot side exterior(smallest) wall
c) appox 90 inches long(one side)
d) have a 14 to 20 degree roof slope for proper runoff.
e)would have the back and front open with wood slates for sides.
f) hold 14-16 inch log

Now this will be 90 inches but I intend to build two to adjoin at peak so the L.O.A. will be 180 inches .The reason is that this will be near a fence and two sections will give me the ability to break the sections apart so tha I will be able to do fence maintenance (cleaning, leaf removal, etc.)

Now this is where I need some guidance/help as math was /is not my forte.
The following listed dimensions are for one side of the shed only.

IF;
- my side is 4 feet (32 inches),
- bottom is 7.5 feet (90 inches)
- roof angle at 14 degrees;

OR ("B" OPTION)
-side=3.5
-bottom= 90inches
-roof 14 degrees

THEN;
- roof should be 8 feet (96 inches)
- center pole(s) will be 6' 3" (75 inches)

OR("B" OPTION)

ROOF = 91 INCHES
CENTER POLE= 5feet 6 inches ( 66inches)

Am I correct?

I was planning to build using 2x4 framing and 2x3 rafter. Rafter Bird cut to cross member and bolted to upright 2x4

Anyone have any plans available that I could follow? I have a VERY rough idea but would rather measure 15 x's and cut once! Have enough small parts to burn now!

Roof itself is literally still in the air. I have been investigating Palpam ribbed sections ( PVC ) but am also considering a board covering.
That is why I am investigating a gable roof so if necessary material can be changed at a later date. Front to back is lower , but will be harder to switch later, but still a viable option.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-09, 03:51 PM
J
We have a guy down the street that burns a stove all winter long, has 5+ cords in his yard, under tarps. Nothing to build, no lumber to haul, etc.

Old 06-18-09, 04:14 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
IF;
- my side is 4 feet (32 inches),
If you want 4 feet, use 48 inches.

Old 06-18-09, 07:49 PM
B
wirepuller

Your right. How the heck did I type 32 inches? Brain must have been somewhere else, but I said math wasn't my forte.

Just Bill; I presently use tarps, but in deep snow and wind they start to be a pain in the neck. That is why I want a covered section.

Old 06-23-09, 08:58 PM
H
I am having a hard time mentally visualizing your wood shed. A drawing is worth a thousand words. Maybe you could find a picutre and go from there?

I googled firewood shed and came up with a bunch of different imaages/designs. Most appear to be modified Andirondack shelter designs, just big enough to cover the wood.

I have made the trip to the wood pile many times in my life. Couple of tips, things to consider. Wood is heavy, your not going to move this structure once it is full of wood. Your not going to be able to pull it out and mow under or behind it.

If you put the wood on the ground, termites will find it, you dont want them in the house. Regardless where you put it, critters will make it a home and dont be surprised if a mouse, rat, snake, chipmuck appears when you pull off another log. Wear gloves and long sleeves.

90% of the time your going to get wood during inclimate weather. The thought process goes something like this. It's a nice snowy day to spend inside by the fireplace. That means your walking through the unshoveled snow, and standing in teh snow collecting firewood, and if you dont have a roof over your head, your going to have snow build up on your head, shoulders, sudden turn and its down your back. If that roof ends at teh wood and you bump the structure, more times than not some snow will slide off the roof and on your head, shoulders, and down your shirt. Wear a hat or build the roof out.

Mother nature has this way of not coming straight down. So if you want to use that wood you need to keep the rain/snow off of it, roof and 3 sides. I would extend the roof well past the wood so I could stand under it while pilling up the wood to carry inside.

A modified Andirondack structure is a great way to go. The cheap version, wide brimmed hat, glooves, and cover the wood with a tarp.

Beer 4U2