Baseboard and door jam carpet gap

Old 06-20-09, 09:55 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard and door jam carpet gap

I'm finishing off a basement and am at the stage of putting jams and trim on two doorways as well as baseboard molding. I believe the rule of thumb is 1/2" for the baseboard. Is it the same for the jams or should they go right down to the floor?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-09, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
It all depends on the thickness of carpet being used and if there will be a pad or not. If you will have a carpet layer install the carpet it really doesn't matter, since they have jamb saws to cut door jambs and casing to the correct height.

You certainly don't want the jambs and base 1/2" up if your carpet is only 3/8, and you are gluing it down. So you see how that comes into play.

Old 06-20-09, 11:10 PM
I
Well 1/2 works but I normally go with 3/8".The only gap the carpet guy needs is enough to tuck his edges and thats only the thickness of the actual carpeting as the pad stops short of the Tack strip and baseboards. As for the Door Casing ...take it to the floor(unless you are on concrete slab then 1/8 off to avoid moisture) because carpeting is normally tucked around the casings instead of under such as in the case of tile,wood,etc.

Old 06-21-09, 09:20 AM
C
I always hold everything up 1/2".....door jamb, casing and baseboard on a typical tackstrip and carpet pad job. Glue down would be another story and I would check with your carpet installer for his requirements.

Good luck!