Easy shelves for garage

Old 07-06-09, 07:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Easy shelves for garage

Hello,

I'm looking for plans for an easy to build and basic, self standing shelving unit for a garage. I haven't found any good sets of plans online. Anyone have a good set they can share?

Thank you!!
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-09, 06:33 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That's something that you design yourself to fit your garage & what you want to store on it.

Old 07-13-09, 07:00 PM
H
I have a pretty simple method for freestanding shelves made from wood.
Build an 8' x 16" box (outside dimensions) with cross braces every two feet. I prefer to use 2x3 instead of 2x4, however 2x4 work and will hold a ton of weight. you could use 1x4 or 1x3 as well provided your not loading it up with engine parts, or rather heavy metal parts.

I use 3/8" plywood to cover the box frame. Rip a 4x8 sheet into 3 16" sections. 1 4x8 sheet ripped to 16" pieces will give you 3 shelves. If you use the floor as a shelf, that give you 4 shelves 8' long floor to ceiling.

Vertical uprights (legs). I nail 4 legs to the shelves. you can nail them to the end or side, your choice.

Basically your making 3 boxes and nailing the shelve to the top of the box, then attaching the shelves to the legs and stand the whole thing up and slide it into place.

1 by luimber is perfect for light to medium duty shelves. For ehavy duty shelves go with the 2 by lumber. If you go with the 1 by lumber use 1/4" luan for light duty. The 3/8" plywood will work for both medium and heavy duty applications. Super heavy duty would require 3/4" ply.