espresso finish on cabinets

Old 07-07-09, 02:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile espresso finish on cabinets

Hello, does anyone out there have any experience on getting a espresso finish on cabinets? I currently have espresso finish on my bathroom vanities and many others. I would like to strip down my oak kitchen cabinets and turn it into the espresso finish to match the rest. What products and techniques is right for the conversion? Many thanks to all...Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-09, 07:56 AM
T
espresso finish on cabinets?

by espresso finish what do you mean - can you see the wood,ie stain, or not- paint. It it is stain then you have to first strip all the finish off the cabinets, course saw dust from a wood planer works the best for getting all the finish out of the nooks and crannies of the doors and drawers. Then a good sanding with 120 grit paper. Then the stain- a full boady high VOC stain. ACCESSA coatings in Indianapolis makes this type of stain - 100 times better than you can get at a big box store and 10,000 times better than minwax. A pre-cat lacquare finish - sprayed on would be the best. Harbor freight has a nice cheap gun for about 28 bucks. The pre-cat dries in about 10 mins, can be sanded and recoated in about 20.

Old 07-14-09, 10:19 AM
J
Timber-Indy, thank you for the reply. I am certain that the espresso finish is a stain but it has like a multi color to it (brown and black). Could the stain be mixed then applied?

Thank you for the tips on the stain and lacquer finish.

Old 07-14-09, 10:39 AM
T
Could be a couple of thing - try to post a picture if you can, worth a thousand words. Could be a stain, and the stain took to the grain different in some places, this is quite common. Or it could be that the piece was stained then glazed.

Old 07-14-09, 02:15 PM
J
A lot of furnitures do come in with the espresso finish...it's a newer thing I guess! You can find bookcases, living room furnitures, dinning room furnitures with this finish at any Target, WalMart, HD, Lowes and etc., A picture will not be very clear! You got me thinking about a glaze but I am guessing it is a multi stain mixed. Where can I get the ACCESSA stains?

Old 07-15-09, 06:29 AM
T
The brochure has some of the colors they offer but they have many many more than what they show herehttp://www.accessa.biz/pdf/virtuoso-brochure.pdf

Old 07-15-09, 09:56 AM
J
Thank you for all your advice and the link. Have a great day!