UNgluing wood chair parts

Old 07-14-09, 01:57 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
UNgluing wood chair parts

Hello,

I just purchased a table/chair set on Craigslist. 2 of the chairs the seller had tried to fix. The arm rest spindles had detached at both the arm rest and seat. He used what looks like wood glue (judging from the dribbles) to reattach but did not line them up properly.

Is there a way to UNglue without damaging the spindles?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-09, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No expert..but I've done similar once or twice. Damp washcloth..nuked in the microwave until warm, wrap around the joints, then tap with a mallet or dead blow hammer. You may need to take apart a lot more than it seems like to redo it. Wood glue doesn't work well with old glue...it has to be down to bare wood.

The hot cloth can mess up the finish though.

There are a couple of furniture guys here..might want to wait for them to weigh in.

Old 07-15-09, 08:56 AM
You're probably going to have to remove the arm rest itself, and it is most likely held in place at the rear upright with a screw, covered by a wooden plug.

I use a rubber mallet when taking furniture apart. If the chair was made anytime in the last 30 years it's unlikely the warm washcloth will do anything to loosen the glue, although it may hurt the finish.

One point in the above post is right on the money - glue + glue doesn't work. The joinery has to be clean and down to bare wood. This has to be done carefully, lest you make the hole oveersize, or the tenon ends undersize. I normally use a Dremel tool for this task - very carefully.

Old 07-15-09, 01:12 PM
C
Thank you both for your expertise!

Old 07-26-09, 08:42 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
glue joints

An old carpenter once told me how he took glued joints apart and it was with a concoction that included vinegar,but I cant remember the other ingrediants. Does this jog anyones memory?

Old 07-28-09, 06:19 AM
Vinegar (white) and water - heated - will work on the old hide glues, but most modern adhesives are impervious to this treatment