stripped chair-leg thread

Old 07-14-09, 02:59 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stripped chair-leg thread

I have a sofa-type chair with 4-5 inch long legs. Each leg is attached using a double-sided screw. One of the four legs' threading is stripped along with the threading on the chair. What is the best way to repair something like this? Is there a way to fill in the threading and re-drill the holes or is there some piece of hardward I can buy to replace the threading? Since it is under a chair it needs to be able to take weight.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-09, 03:27 PM
S
The best choice if possible is to use a next size larger version of the dowel screw,the double ended screw.they come in sizes and most hardware stores carry them in the fastener department.Trying to use filler is problematic with the weight issue.There is also a plate that takes a bolt thread and there are screw on one end bolt on the other end pieces,a hanger bolt, but I'm not sure that would hold up especially beyond a few hundred pounds.

Old 07-15-09, 08:45 AM
Another alternative is to redrill the worn hole to a convenient dowel size, glue in the dowel, cut it flush, and redrill the dowel to accomodate the dowel screw.

This is much superior to trying to use any kind of filler. Since most dowels are hardwood (birch is common) the weight issue should be no problem.

After screwing the leg back on to insure a proper fit, I usually remove it, spead a good glue around the screw and the mating surface of the leg and then screw it back in - tightly.