fancy cut information needed

Old 07-22-09, 08:18 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fancy cut information needed

Hello all...my first post.

I am building wainescotting for a first floor entry hall and running it up the main staircase and continuing it around the upstairs hall.

I am using 1x4's to make the boxes. A 1x4 is running horizontally up from the floor like a chair-rail and I have applied a chair-rail on top of that 1x4. I have vertical 1x4 that run down to the base board that make the boxes and shadow box molding fills the inside. It's nice look.

Here is my problem:

The staircase rises at 44 degrees to a landing. From there it splits right and left 90 degrees and continues up three more steps at 44 degrees to reach the upstairs halls on each side.

I am trying to figure out if it is even possible to have the horizontal 1x4 run up the steps at 44 degrees and make a 90 degree turn and continue up at 44 degrees and have the two 1x4's mitered and beveled to match up. Something tells me this is not possible.

Can someone help me?

Gene Wentzel - NJ

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-09, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Gene, welcome to the forums! I think I understand what you propose to do. However, so we know we are in the same hymnbook and on the same pew, could you post a couple of pictures of what you are doing and the area you need it done in on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post. That way we can see what you see. Thanks.

Old 07-23-09, 03:54 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To add......often something like that requires cutting scraps until you find the right angle, then cut the final piece. But yes, it can be done. That is not easy for a good finish carpenter, so I won't mention what it is for a casual DIY'er.

One big reason why finsih carpentry is not inexpensive.