How to plan for drywall below open staircase?

Old 07-23-09, 08:12 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to plan for drywall below open staircase?

I am getting close to drywalling my addition. The stairs are open-there is no wall near the stringer on one side. options are to have them just attach drywall to the bottom of stringer (the white area in photos) and then put mounding on the side to cover up the joint. Or I could place nailer inside the stringer and have them put drywall so it is flush with bottom of stringer (simulated in 2nd photo) I suppose they could blend it in to be unnoticeable? Also, I am thinking of putting light under steps. Any thoughts on putting recessed light here? Would have to make a little flat area for the light I guess? Other option would be a wall sconce light but I think I would prefer a recessed under the steps.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-09, 01:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you want to close the opened side of the stairs with sheetrock, you really need frame it the way the other side is framed. If you don't close it, just add a railing. A railing is needed anyway.

Old 07-23-09, 02:21 PM
H
I want it open and yes I will have railing. that is not an issue. I need to know how to finish the sheetrock under steps. I know that on wall I will have to put nailer to match height of stringer on other side.

Old 07-23-09, 05:30 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Ok, I misunderstood. I would go with the nailer idea so the sheetrock will be flush with the stringer. I would run a nailer down the middle as well. Hang the light or lights first, if you want recessed. Measure & cut the opening before you hang the board.

Old 07-23-09, 05:35 PM
H
so the drywall can be blended right into the stringer so you won't seen anything? my space for putting a light in is very limited and doing the drywall this way does cut down on that space slightly. I have to dry to see what will work. The light just may not work where I want it.

Old 07-23-09, 07:14 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
One side of the dry wall will be cut unless the stairs are exactly 4' wide so keep that in mind when you say "so you won't see anything". Even though it's recessed, if you look closely, you will see the difference.

Another idea, if you don't mind a little more work & spending a few more $$ is to forget about the drywall & use 1" x 8" pine boards or any wood for that matter & stain it with Zars stain (forget minwax). You can shim it out to give you room of the light or hang the light on the outside. It will look like the old tongue & groove planks. It will really look nice.