Corner beach seat for outside porch

Old 07-23-09, 05:28 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Corner beach seat for outside porch

HI,

I would like to build a corner L shaped bench for our porch/deck and for the life of me cannot find aything like it anywhere on the net to give me some guidance, especially where it joins at the corner.

The idea is that we would put a mattress/cushion on the top so that one could lie or a few sit on it.

The porch is 200 cm wide from outside wall to wooden railing (north south) and the other corner is 240cm from the west side railing to where we want it to end.

Sort of like this however the small ext would be at the top of this thingo here _| The 200cm wilde is where the railing is and the 240 length is along the wall.

It would be about 80cms wide so one could comfortably lie on it and 55cm high from deck floor.

My thoughts were that I would be able to maybe leave it open underneath except for the struts, so that we could also use it as a sort of storage area. I thinbk my wife wants to put a hanging skirt thing to hide it.

This is the porch area here http://www.sydneybiz.com/Corner%20bench%20seat.jpg

Mant thanks,

oz

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-09, 06:07 PM
A
You don't indicate how fancy you want it to be or what materials you are thinking of, but as far as the corner issue is concerned, I would recommend 2 rectangles and not try to do a 45 degree connection, one rectangle being 240x80; the other 120x80. A very rustic approach would be just to frame the rectangles with 2x4s (sorry, I don't know the standard dimensions of lumber there, so convert and take whatever is close, please) put a cross brace every 60-80 cm. Bolt them together to form the L. Cut struts from 2x4s. With the L "upside down", bolt them at the position of the braces and at each corner. Connect the struts to each other at the bottom with 1x2s or 1x3s all the way around and across the width. In the corner section, put in a few angle braces (cut from the 1x2s) for strength. Cover the top with 6" x 5/8" deck boards, or plywood if you want a single sheet. Run the deck boards length-wise so they form a rectangles, with the joint matching the rectangles of the frame. For looks and additional strength cover the two sides with deck boards also.

That's a quick idea. If you like it, modify it as you wish and use it. If you don't like it, hopefully, there is something in what I've said that will help you decide what you'd like to do.

Old 07-23-09, 06:20 PM
O
HI,

Thanks for the time and advice.

Yes it was the 45 angle which had me beat, but now as you have explained will make it much easier.

I just want it really basic and plain as it will not be seen due to the mattress and the fabric skirting hanging down.

I have some wood hanging around which will do the job I'm sure.

When we get it done, I post it up so one canssee wjat we managed to do..

Once again many thanks..

oz