How to fill a hole to screw in again

Old 07-27-09, 08:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to fill a hole to screw in again

The handle on the door had a screw that had gotten loose. (It would come out of the door just by pulling with little force). I couldn't change the length/diameter of the screw since it was special hardware. So what are my options in this scenario?

I tried wood filler, but that didn't harden to the point of becoming part of the door. (after 4 hours). When I tried to screw the handle in, the filler/putty fell apart

So I tried to use plastic anchor (that I use for putting in screws in the wall). This has worked somewhat. It feels that the screw went in tight and I tried to pull the handle with moderate force and the handle didn't come out. So that's my current solution. But what is the standard/accepted procedure for taking care of this? I am sure I will need it in some other place (or again for this door handle if the anchor hasn't really worked)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-09, 09:33 AM
R
tnkrer,

Hopefully, some of the experts will chime in with other options. However, I have made similar repairs by drilling a hole and gluing in a wood dowel with yellow carpenter's glue. Experiment a bit with drill size and dowel fit since, in order to work well, the dowel should fit snuggly into the hole. Once it sets up, drill a pilot hole for the screw and you should be in business.

Good luck,

Old 07-27-09, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Yep, that's what I would do.

Old 07-27-09, 09:55 AM
T
Thanks

Originally Posted by Randy Mallory View Post
tnkrer,

Hopefully, some of the experts will chime in with other options. However, I have made similar repairs by drilling a hole and gluing in a wood dowel with yellow carpenter's glue. Experiment a bit with drill size and dowel fit since, in order to work well, the dowel should fit snuggly into the hole. Once it sets up, drill a pilot hole for the screw and you should be in business.

Good luck,
Thanks! That's what I should have done! Can I buy dowels of different diameters/lengths in hardware stores? I have seen wooden rods of different diameters in the stores, may be I should buy some and then cut appropriate length to make a dowel?

Old 07-27-09, 10:02 AM
R
Yep, you can get the dowel at almost any hardware store or "big box" store. You'll have to cut it to length. As I said before however, you may want to experiment a bit. Dowel sizes are not very consistent in diameter. A 1/4" dowel may fit too loosely in a 1/4 hole.

Old 07-27-09, 11:05 AM
T
Dowels will work fine, although you will be putting the screw into the end grain and it could tearout again. Another option would be to mask the area of the hole with tape and mix up some quickset (30) epoxy, Loctite has a putty type materialwhich sets up in about 10 minutes that would be great for this, just make sure you force it deep into the hole.

Old 07-27-09, 02:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Since golf tees are the shape of your hole to begin with, daub some glue on a tee, drive it in the hole and cut it off flush, drive your screw. The other ideas are great, as well, so you will have to make your choice. Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-28-09, 06:17 AM
Now we know who has the time to REALLY goof off....

BTW - since most dowels are hardwood (birch being popular), screwing into the end grain should not present a major problem.

Last edited by George; 08-11-09 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 01:28 PM
P
I would take some tooth pics and 2 part epoxy and jam them in there. Just before it sets up, use a nail to make a hole in the center. You will not be able to leave the nail in, as the epoxy will grab it. You would work the nail in just as the epoxy is setting up, and take it out just as the epoxy gets hard enough to maintain the hole you have created with the nail. Of course, pick a nail size that would be comparable to what you would use for a drill......about half the dia of the screw.

Old 07-29-09, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
George, I don't golf (hit a ball and chase it a half a mile, get real). I steal them from my BIL and keep several in my truck for repairs.

Old 08-10-09, 03:00 PM
F
Maybe you can put plaster in the hole but use a syringe so it can get way in there?

Old 08-10-09, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Fanita..thats just silly......wouldn't hold....this is wood and a door we are talking about.