Making a closet into an open entertainment cabinet

Old 01-13-00, 01:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Help! I have a small living room closet that I want to turn into an open entertainment center for the TV, stereo components, VCR, etc. I want to remove the door, install shelves and remove the door frame and molding. I want to install decorative molding around the door frame so it will appear to be built-in instead of a tacky closet. What do I do?

Old 01-13-00, 08:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

A simple approach would be to remove the door frame & trim as you are planning, and then build a veneered 3/4" plywood "box" that has an opening size to match the door you removed and as deep as the closet. Shelves could be fastened into the box or shelf adjustment strips with shelf support clips could be used if you want or need shelf spacing flexibility. The "box" can then be slid into the closet until the front of it is flush with the finished wall surface and then fastened in place. You would finish off the job by installing new decorative trim in the same place as the trim you took off the door you removed. Make the shelves a couple inches narrower than the "box" is deep to allow for wires to connect components on different shelves. It is also important to leave space for air circulation around the components so they don't overheat, which they tend to do in a confined space. Hope you can use these ideas to get you started.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: