routers......Yikes

Old 01-12-00, 12:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I am the proud owner of a router....but I must admit now that I have it home.....I'm a wee bit intimidated(sp?) I've read the manual from cover to cover...
But when I go to put the bit in it doesn't fit and yes it is the right size for the router, should one have to use force to put it a bit?
any advise would be great, you see I have all these "home projects" just wanting to get out of me....

Old 01-12-00, 09:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Routers are kewl and very versatile. You will appreciate how quickly it can do a nice job on many projects. You shouldn't have to force the bit into the collet if as you say it is the right size shank for it. 1/4" shank for 1/4" collet, 1/2" for 1/2". Have you tried to loosen the collet with the wrench? If it were tight from the factory, the bit might not go in. Loosen it up until the collet nut comes off if need be and then try the bit in it again. Some bits will be a little snug, but shouldn't be tight. Hope you get it to work and get into your projects.

Old 01-13-00, 04:21 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I love my router! One thing you will find is that different manufacturers will have different ideas on 1/4" (different tolerances). My Jesada bits are a tad thicker than my MLCS bits.

One more thing - never force anything when it comes to woodworking. Somebody or something always gets damaged.

Old 01-13-00, 12:09 PM
Visiting Guest
thanks for all the advice...here's to happy route(ing).
rebley

Old 02-07-00, 11:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I have two different types of routers, one is a regular everyday type and I have a plunge router. Both of them are 1/4" shank. I use what I consider a decent bit (frued) but have found that with some of the bits I get a lot of vibration and understand that to be due to the size of the shank. You would think that the makers of these bits would realize this and maybe worry more about bit balance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: