sticky urethane on refinished table

Old 07-31-09, 05:39 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question sticky urethane on refinished table

I stripped an antique dining table some time ago and then applied urethane, but it never hardened. I have now restripped it but can't find anything that will set up. This table gets regular use so I need a good finish. I am guessing a finish in its past contained an oil but don't know how to proceed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-09, 06:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

After you stripped the table, did you wash the wood according to the stripper directions to nuetralize andremove any stripper residue?

What brand/type of urathane did you use? how many coats?

Old 07-31-09, 07:22 AM
B
sticky urethane

Thanks for advice. No, I did not wash with water after stripping (QRB non-caustic). It recommended cleaning with mineral spirits but I did not do that either. I then stained with Valspar oil stain, let dry for 24 hours, tried Cabot oil-based polyurethane on a test spot. Still tacky after 24 hours. Should I strip again and clean before re-staining or what? Thanks.

Old 07-31-09, 05:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I didn't mean wash with water but the mineral spirits or paint thinner is often required to neutralize the stripper. That was an important step. 2nd, I bet you didn't wipe off the excess stain. Stains are generally applied [spray,brush,rag,etc] let set for a short amount of time and then the excess stain is wiped off with a rag. Most stains aren't forumulated to be brushed on and left - done that way, they can take days to dry and often will be rewetted by the top coat of poly which moves the stain around usually resulting in a mess

You might try taking a wet/damp thinner rag and wiping/scrubbing the wood down with that. That may remove the excess stain allowing the poly to be applied a few hrs later.

Old 08-01-09, 08:56 AM
B
sticky urethane

Thanks, marksr. I've pretty much decided my failing to apply the mineral spirits was the problem as you suggested and have started over. I'll let you know if it works now.