How to trim out these windows?

Old 08-04-09, 04:21 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to trim out these windows?

I have 3 windows that I need to trim out. It was WAY cheaper to use 3 separate windows instead of a bay window. since it was done this way, I do not have mullion strips that go between windows. I figure I have enough room to get about a 2 1/2" wide piece of trim onto each casing (where the windows meet) that is with about 1/8" reveal on casing. would you just trim each window separately, using decorative trim on the casing all the way around on each window. OR would you put more plain pieces on the casings between windows and run the decorative trim straight across the top and bottom of all 3 windows (of course mitering it at the wall intersections). If I trim them all separately, I wouldn't have to miter at this junction-just 45 everything at the corners. Oh, I was thinking of using fluted trim with rosettes at the corners on other windows but not sure how it would work on these windows.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-09, 04:23 PM
H
forgot to post the pictures!

Old 08-04-09, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Am I missing something, or are these windows already trimmed?

Old 08-04-09, 05:32 PM
H
no you aren't missing something--you are adding something! there isn't any trim. there is casing and and then drywall that has been primed. maybe download the pics and enlarge them for better view.

Old 08-04-09, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
chandler chandler chandler...into the bear repellant again? lol J/K!.

ham were these andersen replacements..or new full frame? Just curious.

If there is room between..and I can't tell..no size reference..I'd trim each one individually. If you are putting stool on.. that could be pretty tough as they may interfere.

EDIT..sorry chandler...i just don't see any casing but ham says there is?

Old 08-04-09, 05:59 PM
H
these are new construction windows on my addition. OK, I guess I used wrong term. when I said casing, I guess I meant jamb? Sorry. there is nothing on these windows yet. on several of the windows in OLD part of house, I will need to add extension jambs as the general contractor ordered them wrong despite me telling him that standard would not do. I have old home with plaster and then drywall over it!

back on topic-yes I was thinking of putting stool on these windows. luckily I did not put the window sill candles on these windows due to the angles. on the other windows with the candles, I am going to have to build out the stool a little to make room for the sillites receptacles. (Sillites - Candle For The Window | Electric Window Candles | Flush Mount Receptacle) I have a window on each side of room that will have window sill candles so you think it would look OK to have large stool on those and none on this 3 window combo?

Old 08-04-09, 06:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
OK, I cursorily looked and saw the stack, thinking it looked similar to colonial molding. Are the jambs too deep? Are they standing proud of the sheetrock by 3/4" or more? Sorry, I've never made it a point to trim windows that weren't flush to the wall covering, so that threw me off.

Old 08-04-09, 11:01 PM
H
no, jambs are flush with sheetrock-give or take here and there. At least on these windows! I assumed I would caulk areas as needed. In some areas would need it mainly on outside of casing (when jambs sticks out a little bit more than sheetrock, and in others mainly on inside (where sheetrock sticks out a little bit more than jamb).

OK, just went and looked at them. Most areas tend to have sheetrock sticking out a little bit more than jamb. 1/16" to 1/8". one window at top has sheetrock sticking out a full 1/4" past jamp! now this is new construction and these are standard jambs (4 9/16"), so not sure why so far off?

for the majority, I don't think I need extensions. for the 1/4"-maybe I do. thoughts on this, as well as HOW to finish them.

Old 08-05-09, 01:23 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Not Flush

The non-flush condition occurs when two pieces of framing which are not straight get sistered without making the edges even before they are nailed. This creates a thicker stud which kicks out the drywall.