Router Plans

Old 07-10-00, 11:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Greetings all. I am new to woodworking (just developed an interest in the last couple of weeks by watching The Router Workshop) and was wondering if anyone knows of some beginning plans that only use a router. This is the only woodworking tool I have at the moment (just a cheap Skil plunge router) and after seeing how much the bits cost it will be a while before I can get any others. I hope I can learn a bit from all of you experts.

Old 07-10-00, 11:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Carbide,
Welcome to the wonderful world of woodworking! While a router, as you have seen, is an indespensible tool, making a project with it alone would be like playing golf with only one club. It could be done but you will soon find yourself in need of a saw of some kind to open up a world of possibilities. Projects that are made of a single, flat piece of wood would be a good place to start. Items for decorating a home come to mind, like plaques and such, so look through some catalogs to find something flat that catches your eye, and think through the processes it would take to make it. There are many possibilities if you have a jigsaw to cut out shapes and then use your router to put a moulded edge on them. If you are truly hooked, you will soon find that you are going to want a "whole bag full of clubs" which would include a saw or saws, sander, a selection of router bits, a drill with bits, etc. It is a rare day in my shop that I don't fire up a router for something, and with a creative approach, you will find the possibilities are endless. Have fun and please post again as you explore you new-found interest!
Respectfully,
The Timber Tailor

Old 07-12-00, 09:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the welcome TTT. Yes I know I will eventually need more tools as I can afford them. The plans I was looking for were more along the line of small knick knack boxes etc that use dovetail joints or box joints. I have my router mounted in a table so it is a bit more useful than a handheld one. Do you have suggestions on a useful tool to buy next? I have access to a circular saw and I have a drill and sander. Thank you again and I am sure I will be asking many more questions.

[This message has been edited by Carbide (edited July 13, 2000).]

Old 07-14-00, 08:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Carbide,
If your interest is in making wooden boxes, I don't see how you will be able to get too far without a decent shop saw of some sort. You will need one to size the 6 pieces that make up a standard box. When I first started out in woodworking I thought a radial arm saw would be the best move because they seem, with so many attachments available, to be so versatile. What I found was that it could do a number of different functions well, but none of them good. That statement will likely ruffle a few feathers but I stand by it. After 25 years of carpentry, cabinetry and millwork experience, my best advice to you would be to work towards getting a good table saw as your next tool. They don't have to be big or expensive to be good. I bet you can find a good used one for under $200. You will be able to accurately make pieces for an infinite variety of boxes with a table saw in a much safer manner than with a radial arm saw since with cutting fixtures you can cut small pieces accurately and consistantly. I realize this represents a significant outlay of cash, but starting woodworking without a good saw would be a little like starting out driving without a car.
Hope to chat with you more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: