How to design cabinet door????

Old 08-16-09, 07:55 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to design cabinet door????

Hi guys, I am new here and also pretty new to woodworking. I built a large pantry type of structure with shelves and space for cabinets at the bottom. I want the cabinets to look nice and have a nice design. I just dont know what those arch type inlays are called that are designed into the door, and I dont know how to make them. Maybe someone can tech me a little? I pick up pretty quick. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-09, 09:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Not sure what your shop looks like, nor what your arsenal has in it, so here goes. You will need a 1/2" collet router with a raised panel bit, mounted on a router table. You will need a cabinet door mortising set of bits to make mating surfaces on the doors to put the parts together. You will need a gaggle of pipe clamps. A band saw or jig saw to make the arch. A table saw to cut the rails and stiles.
Fill us in on what you have. I make cabinets, when I have to, but NEVER make my doors. I have a guy who "does" doors, and that's all he does. He does them for everyone around, so we just have to give him the measurements and design, and he makes them. Finding someone like that may help, but if you want to build them yourself, we're here and can help you as you go.

Old 08-17-09, 04:49 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Cabinet Doors

If making the cabinet doors seems too scary, here is a source of pre-made, unfinished doors. I have ordered from them in the past. You have to make some decisions before you order about the amount of overlay, type of hinges, etc.

Here it is:

Cabinet Door Shop | Custom Cabinet Doors.

Old 08-17-09, 05:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 279 Posts
I have neither the tools or the skill to make a raised panel door but I built my kitchen cabinets, doors included. What looks a little bit like a raised panel door but a whole lot easier is to make the door frame with a rabbit on the inside back edge and then a piece of 1/4" ply glued and stapled to the rabbit.

I cut the rabbit, used a router for the profile, cut the 1x3s to lenght at a 45` and then assembled the frame with biscuits and nails. I used a couple of bar clamps to hold it together while the glue dried, making sure it was kept square. Mine are all rectangles but you should be able to do the same thing with an arch. The hardest part would be making all the arch's the same - maybe use a jig.

Old 08-17-09, 06:36 AM
N
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums! Not sure what your shop looks like, nor what your arsenal has in it, so here goes. You will need a 1/2" collet router with a raised panel bit, mounted on a router table. You will need a cabinet door mortising set of bits to make mating surfaces on the doors to put the parts together. You will need a gaggle of pipe clamps. A band saw or jig saw to make the arch. A table saw to cut the rails and stiles.
Fill us in on what you have. I make cabinets, when I have to, but NEVER make my doors. I have a guy who "does" doors, and that's all he does. He does them for everyone around, so we just have to give him the measurements and design, and he makes them. Finding someone like that may help, but if you want to build them yourself, we're here and can help you as you go.
Hmm ok I have all of those tools except a router table. Im pretty sure my bit set has mortising bits. I really want to try and do it myself. I am having a hard time understanding what to do, In your instructions, I dont see where the arches come in..?

Old 08-17-09, 06:58 AM
N
what is the actual process of making the design in the door called? Maybe I can find a video or pics or something.

Old 08-17-09, 11:14 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Doors

You will need to make a template for the arch using a piece of plywood. Will all the doors be the same width? If so, then only one template is needed. You need a template for each different width. Be sure the template is symmetrical. You use the template to cut the top of the raised panel and also to shape the bottom edge of the top rail.

I found this web site showing some instructions:

Begining Guide To Raised Panel Doors

Old 08-17-09, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Rockler has the templates; a little pricey for a one-time project, though:

Rockler - Search Results for 'door template'

Old 08-18-09, 07:34 AM
N
woww this is a lot more complicated then I thought, lol. I think the only way I will grasp it is if I find a video...

Old 08-18-09, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well..I found this...don't know if you'll find anything for free....
New Yankee Workshop - New Yankee Workshop Collection - Router 101 (2-Part Series)

Oops...and look here....YouTube - Amana Tool Building a Raised Panel Cabinet Door

Though I don't think either one talks about arched tops.

Old 08-18-09, 03:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The arched tops just require cutting the rail and the blank for the raised panel with a saw to the design you want. The router will follow your design. As Ken says, making a template is best, if your doors are the same width.

Old 08-19-09, 07:02 AM
N
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Well..I found this...don't know if you'll find anything for free....
New Yankee Workshop - New Yankee Workshop Collection - Router 101 (2-Part Series)

Oops...and look here....YouTube - Amana Tool Building a Raised Panel Cabinet Door

Though I don't think either one talks about arched tops.
hey good video, thanks...It looks like it would be really hard to do this work without a router table, no?

Old 08-19-09, 03:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 279 Posts
A router table would make it easier but since I don't have one, I clamp my router upside down to my table saw and then feed the wood to it. It does take a little more work to keep the piece of wood tight against the router bit but a good result can be had - a router table just makes the job easier