problem with outside corner crown molding

Old 08-17-09, 08:41 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
problem with outside corner crown molding

this is my first time installing crown molding and i done the inside corners with no problem but when i got to the outside corner it doesnt work the wall measures 92 degrees and the chart i found says to cut it 30.7 miter and 33.2 bevel but when i put it up the bottom of the molding is touching and the top of the molding has about a half inch crack is this the wrong angles or what any help is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-09, 11:26 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Cuts

In order to get the correct chart, you must know the angles on edges of the crown where it meets the ceiling and the wall. Not all mouldings have the same configuration.

Old 09-27-09, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
..a protractor will help with the angles..but if you dont have one.. cut samples from scrap for each side until you get it to fit right as possible.. then caulk the difference.

Old 09-27-09, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wirepuller38 is right about the angles. Different crown molding have different "spring" angles. You need to know the spring angle to make sure you have the appropriate chart.

jatco mentioned the "trial and error" method using scrap pieces, and that is usually the method that gets used the most success. It can be very tedious for anybody, especially if your new to crown molding installation. If your crown is painted, then caulk can be a lifesaver. If it's stained, then you have to make sure your joints are tight.

By the way,

Welcome to the forums!