Replacing veneer over particle board

Old 08-17-09, 10:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing veneer over particle board

Hi all,

I have a set of drawers in my bathroom that I bought three years ago from a high-end home decorating chain. The frame is particle board covered with a white veneer. Somehow, water got into a crack somewhere, and the particle board along the top started to warp, causing the veneer to crack and buckle. Now, the top looks lousy, while the rest of the unit is still in very good shape.

I would like to know how feasible it is to replace the veneer; how I would get it off, and would I just be able to sand down the warped particle board below it? Do the big box home improvement stores sell veneer panels? How would I seal it to the existing veneer panels so this won't happen again?

Or I am I better off just putting the whole thing on Craig's List?

Any help is appreciated.

Best,
- Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-09, 03:31 PM
J
Once the particle board core gets wet, it is all over. Make plans in the budget for a new one.

Old 08-17-09, 05:09 PM
R
Unhappy

Hmm... Well, I guess that settles that. Thanks very much for the response!

- Steve

Old 08-17-09, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If the top is the only offending part, you could pull the sink, remove the top, replace it with 3/4" pressure treated plywood, top it with thinset and concrete backer underlayment and tile the heck out of it, replacing the sink, and banding the edge with a nice stained oak 1x2 lumber. It would save having to remove the entire cabinet set. Replacing the unit may be your only option, depending on how much damage was done.

Old 08-17-09, 07:46 PM
R
Hi Chandler,

Thanks! This is actually a stand-alone set of drawers, not a sink cabinet. Pulling off the top and putting tile on it is not a bad idea. I'm moving soon, so I will probably judge how well the drawers work in my new bathroom. The new place has a large storage closet and I may just put the drawers in there and use them for small things.

Best,
- Steve