Window Rough-In

Old 08-23-09, 10:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Window Rough-In

I need to remove two vinyl windows in my kitchen, raise the wall about 36", and install two new windows. I need to know how large to make the rough opening. Also, the existing windows appear to be one piece (joined in center with no framing in between). I would like to get the same type of window if such a window exists.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-09, 10:34 AM
Did a little research...what I need is a double single-hung window with grid. I guess the simplest thing to do would be to buy the window I need, then build the wall to the proper dimensions.

Old 08-23-09, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah thats pretty much the way it has to be done. Can't build the opening until you know whats going in it.

Old 08-23-09, 10:47 AM
Ok. Another question, do I need new construction or replacement? I'll be building the lower wall up about 36", but the top and sides will remain as-is. I'm assuming that since there is siding on the outside of the house, a new construction window wouldn't work unless I were to remove all the siding, which I may have to do anyhow. After I remove the larger existing windows, I will need to install 36" or new siding. The windows are in a pop-out, so replacing all the siding wouldn't be a big deal and would ensure everything matches.

Old 08-23-09, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New const would be what you need. Yeah, you'll be taking some siding off.

What you describe seems kinda odd....the windows are gonna be much smaller if you build up the wall 3'. You may have to change the syle of windows. Most DH or SH windows have minimum heights...about 28" or so if I remember.

Old 08-23-09, 11:57 AM
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain very well. The existing window is about 72" tall, and the new window will be about 36" tall by 72" wide. There is wood trim around the entire window on the exterior, which I would rather not remove, but I may have no choice. Here's a couple photos so you know what I'm dealing with: http://www.mediafire.com/file/00ijwu...823091431a.jpg, http://www.mediafire.com/file/nyj1ef...0823091431.jpg

Last edited by mossman; 08-23-09 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-28-09, 04:27 PM
Can someone help me out here? By looking at the photos I provided with my previous post, do I need a replacement window or new construction? Will I need to remove the wood trim surrounding the window to remove the existing window?

Old 08-28-09, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
Seems to me like the question has been answered already. Remove existing exterior trim, remove any old window jamb to get you down to the studs- the original rough opening. Reframe your opening to the size you want. Your window size will be based on this size, so you need to figure that out now- we can't tell you. Either frame the opening in and board it up, or just plan ahead and figure out what size the rough opening will be, provided you can figure that out without actually doing the work.

Order the window. When it arrives, install the new construction window with a nailing fin. The nailing flange of the window must be installed at the sheathing level, and be incorporated into new or existing WRB. (Weather resistant barrier) Then retrim the exterior of the new window. It's a good idea to always put a drip cap over the top piece of trim. All that is left is replace the siding around the new trim.

Old 08-28-09, 08:47 PM
Ok. So you're saying I will need to remove the exterior wood trim to remove the existing window because it has a flange, correct? And the order of installation is plywood, WRB, new window, reinstall wood trim, then siding?

Old 08-28-09, 08:54 PM
I'd like to remove the window this weekend and build up that wall. What do you recommend using as a temporary covering once the existing window is removed? Plastic sheathing? Plywood?

Old 08-28-09, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
Ok. So you're saying I will need to remove the exterior wood trim to remove the existing window because it has a flange, correct? And the order of installation is plywood, WRB, new window, reinstall wood trim, then siding?
If your existing window has a nailing flange behind the trim, then yes. If your vinyl windows are retrofit into a wooden window jamb, ALSO yes- any existing old jamb will also get removed. Those are the 2 possibilities, and I can't see it from where I'm at. And can't open your pictures. In either case, since the new trim will be a completely different size, and it needs to come off to install the new window, then your trim should come off the exterior regardless. And yes, you seem to have the order of things correct.

I'd probably use a sheet of OSB to board the window up.

Old 08-29-09, 10:17 AM
Ok. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how things go.

Old 08-29-09, 03:08 PM
Hey XSleeper, I heard that OSB swells when it gets wet. Are you sure this is what I want to use as my temporary covering? Also, what do I use to permanently cover the studs of the new wall from the outside? OSB? Plywood? (remember I'm building the wall up about 36" and installing a smaller window).

Old 08-29-09, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
The key word is "temporary". A sheet of OSB is like $7 and will be fine. Its used for sheathing around here all the time, since sheathing is never supposed to get wet when it's protected by a WRB. But yes, plywood may last a little longer under wet conditions but it will rot just the same as any wood that gets wet. If you didn't want to waste the $5, get something else u can use elsewhere.

Old 08-30-09, 09:32 AM
Ok. Thanks. So OSB as a temporary covering until I can get the new window in. What should I use for the new 36" section? Plywood?

Old 08-30-09, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
Use what you want. Like I said, OSB is used for sheathing around here all the time. Plywood may last a little longer under wet conditions but it will rot just the same as any wood that gets wet.