Need spindle made for antique

Old 08-25-09, 06:12 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need spindle made for antique

Have an antique bench, I guess it what it is called, like a piano bench sized thing. On each side it has an "H" frame. The center of the H should be joined by a wooden spindle, but it is gone (has the holes in the cross bar of the H though). How would I go about getting sonething like that made? Just something reasonably close, I know the finish will never match very closely. Not sure what type of wood it is, but it's a dark brown.

Gilly

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-09, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Any able carpenter can probably make the spindle. It just takes time, and that's what you will have to pay for if you go that route. With that in mind you can make it yourself provided you have patience. The wood is probably oak or mahogany, depending on the age, and can be stained to match pretty closely.

Old 08-26-09, 01:24 PM
G
Thanks for the reply. I also happened to think, there is a evening program at the local high school for older people, retirees mostly, who meet at the school wood shop and make things, wood projects and so forth. Maybe I can link up with one of those guys and see if they'd want to make something. I would just like to get something that is made to somewhat resemble what the rest of the piece looks like (would need to use a wood lathe). Sure I could cut off an old broomstick and make it work, but was hoping for something to match the rest of the piece.
Gilly

Old 08-31-09, 05:23 PM
B
If it is a true antique I would take it to someone who specializes in repairs to antiques. If you try it yourself or get someone not familiar with the period techniques you could severely lower its value.

Bill

Old 08-31-09, 05:35 PM
G
Well, yeah it's an antique, but so is my mother in law and she wants to be able to use it. Getting it useable again, without just putting a plain wooden dowel in it, is more important than devaluing it to her at this point.
Gilly