tung oil over oil-based stain?

Old 11-27-00, 12:44 AM
Visiting Guest
I need to know whether I can apply a tung oil finish to an oil based wood stain. I have built a lovely desk, but am having difficulties deciding on the finish. The desk is made of pine, which is a bit light in color for my taste, so requires stain/dyeing. I don't want to use polyurethane, but am concerned about durabilty & water resistance. I like working with the tung oil, but want to make sure the finish & stain are compatible. Any advice would be much appreciated?

Old 11-29-00, 12:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jill:

Once the stain has dried completely you can use virtually any finish you want. It shouldn't affect polyurethane, standard varnish, lacquer, shellac, or any of the 'long oil' finishes, including tung oil.

Be aware that most tung oil finishes CONTAIN pure tung oil, but are not ALL PURE tung oil. PURE tung oil is one of the most durable finishes on the market, but you may have to go to a refinishing supply site or specialty store to get it. The retail versions containing tung oil have been thinned with other (less expensive) additives. That brings the price down, along with the durability.

If you have further questions, you can email me directly or drop by the Furniture Refinishing Forum I moderate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: